28 Saber

Notices

28 Saber

Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
i was thinking mid 60's
I would see mid 60s with my single 502 bone stock, I will try to run it with gps and see how close it comes to 75 and just to get some info from the experts how fast do you think a 28 with twin 502 mags will run???
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm no expert but Powerboat radared the Cyclone at 85 with around 900hp at the prop. It also radared one with twin 454 Mags at 75 with 700hp at the prop. So I would say somewhere in the middle with 502's and 800hp at the prop.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has twin 502's and runs 74 under any conditions and load, have seen 76 a couple times. This is with stock 25p mirage, rpms at 5100, could probably pick up a couple mph with labbing and a few more rpm. Also my boat is the one Powerboat tested with the 454 mags (motors have been replaced now obviously) and kind of makes me wonder how accurate their radar was since I get the same speed with an extra 120hp. Their test was in saltwater (adds a little speed I think).
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM

mine was 68 with the 525hp 517 roller and it is 75 to 78 with the 700+ 540ci depending on how the motor feels like running (man I wish I had the 517 back) the 540 ruined my summer
Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by martins custom marin
mine was 68 with the 525hp 517 roller and it is 75 to 78 with the 700+ 540ci depending on how the motor feels like running (man I wish I had the 517 back) the 540 ruined my summer
Martin, When you bought that Saber from me with the 502 was it running 62-64???? The other thing this Saber has is that it was reconfigured to the Original design so the hull runs much more freeeeeeeeee.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

like I said it depends what prop and X or drive shaft height you have. these test were done back with 3 blade mirage props. with 700hp right prop you should be 80 to 82. deep drives ARE not good for rough water. when you dial a boat in it should fly straight level and you get that by your drive being in the right spot. ERNIE'S boat is flying more level now with is final height at 3 3/8'' propshaft from the 4 3/8s he had its a straight v hull 30 ' 9'' by 8 sutphen hp is around 900hp he is getting mid 90s boats about 6000lbs single. running a 29 b1 custom prop at about 5800rpm. he bought the 2'' shortie I told him about my pick up of 8mph when I changed to a 2'' shortie and carb on my baja ol24 and mine and his flew more level. we have 4/5/6 blade props now so running deep and mirages is old news ,they were great when they came out cause all we had were chopper and cleavered props and my 25 mirage blew away the cleaver and chopper props that a friend and I tried back in 1990 on my boat and his trs superboat and it was mirage all the way. you guys need to put a straight edge and measure your prop heights if your 5 1/2'' or higher a shortie will help with top end and rough water running. Ernie went with a 2'' but added a 1'' spacer 1st like I said he LOVES IT and might pull the spacer out and try it. but I think it will be to high myself. with the 8'' box mine has Ishould be at 3'' if my math is right. the sutphens are bigger ,heavier,more degree on hull = more wetted surface . so if there running better higher we should also. so if anyone wants to post or pm there heights either Xor shaft height lets see what you need, hope to have numbers soon myself, I run to dif pulleys to get more info. oh sutphen puts gas tanks under back seat which I think is a good spot to leaves room for a BLOWER art
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM

the boat ran 61 on speedo more like 58 gps but the mach sterndriver that was on it was a rpm eater when i went to a bravo 1 i gained about 2mph. airtime you need to get that thing running to prove all the numbers you keep throwing out saying how the x is to deep and these 28s wont run or fly correct, I have had mine air born enough to know it flies good and true. get that x as high as a skater 28 and on jack plates and bring it to lake michigan and run it thru some 5 footers with that ocassional 8 to 9 amd see how fun it is. I dont care to run a 17" herring 6 blade to get it on plane and get some bow lift out of it. run your 110mph prove to us your theroys are correct and then we will follow your lead.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by martins custom marin
the boat ran 61 on speedo more like 58 gps but the mach sterndriver that was on it was a rpm eater when i went to a bravo 1 i gained about 2mph. airtime you need to get that thing running to prove all the numbers you keep throwing out saying how the x is to deep and these 28s wont run or fly correct, I have had mine air born enough to know it flies good and true. get that x as high as a skater 28 and on jack plates and bring it to lake michigan and run it thru some 5 footers with that ocassional 8 to 9 amd see how fun it is. I dont care to run a 17" herring 6 blade to get it on plane and get some bow lift out of it. run your 110mph prove to us your theroys are correct and then we will follow your lead.
no problem it worked on my baja 24 ol, works on the sutphens, superboats,and others cigs. these boats[ most sabers] were rigged before b1s most of them the last in what 1996 I think. no need for a herring 17'' it won't fit a bravo style will 6 will, skaters are about 3'' above the keel. I ran into a new problem the gas tank has a leak on the bottom it looks old too. whats your X on your boat and speed gear prop you don't have to do nudda thing man just if you guys post it I'll tell yah WHAT I think might work and once mine is running this fall some might want to make adjustments. but my drive is shorter than a xr drive and I have a box so it would be closer to a ITS set up. and I run b1 props and hydro px5 there both bow lifting props. that mach is old tech real wide blades good for a sea ray. later got a pokerrun to take pics at. Iam very impressed with the build of this boat and just think if SABER builds a new 28 it will be lighter faster with vac bagging and new foams plus higher x for the 5 blades merc max or hydro px5 props don't for get about the bravo twin boat that did 104 to 110gps with mod merc 500hps pushing 600hp well got to go wine to my friends at a pokerrun theres a couple of 26 and 31 sutphens that want me later

Last edited by AIR TIME; 09-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who bought the boat??
Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FunHome
Who bought the boat??
It was some guy out of Cleveland Ohio area not sure if he is on OSO or not. Seemed like a good guy and he got a great boat!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.