99 Scarab? Good Bad Ugly? >

99 Scarab? Good Bad Ugly?

Notices

99 Scarab? Good Bad Ugly?

Old 07-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Scarab? Good Bad Ugly?

I am looking to possibly purchase a 99 Scarab 29' with a 502 MAG MPI. Are there any issues with this boat? What kind of speeds? I am assuming 60-65? Is it a good hull for upgrades ie: 496HO with Whipple? Anyone try an IMCO shorty?

All advice would be appreciated!

Woodsy
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 Scarab? Good Bad Ugly?

jollyroger,

I have a 29 1996 model with a single 502mpi Whipple engine. Its a great boat for additions. I have added Stellings extension box. Full IMCO hydraulic steering, Stainless Marine Exhaust, Sea Strainer. There is nothing stock from when I bought it. This includes all new Livorsi gauges with bezels and racing shifter. The boat handles the rough suff great!! I have no complaints about mine.

The boat ran around 60 and 62 with stock power according to GPS readings. Of course I wasn't satisfied with my speeds. Thats when I started doing the mods on it. I'm having the engine punched to a 509cid Whipple engine now with a different cam. The hull can handle just about as much power as you can throw at it. I should be getting speeds close to 80 or over when I'm done propped right.

The hulls are built tough! I am putting mine up for sale after the engine is installed and tested. And , I have a chance to do some prop testing. The first Whipple motor I played it safe and never propped it up to where the rev limiter was set at. This was 5400 RPM. I never went past 5050rpm.

The single engine boat is less maintenance and gets great gas mileage for long cruises.

I hope this helped. I do have my boat posted in this SCARAB forum if you want to check out some pics with the engine and outdrive upgrades.

I will be selling mine for what I owe on it even after all the work is done. The boat has always been in covered storage and the paint looks new for a 96.I'm moving up to a Top Gun or Cafe Racer. I can probably save you quite a bit of money if your looking. Hey, you can buy something with all the work done.

If your interested in what I owe on it email me or send me a private message. I have a feeling with everything done to my boat and selling it for what I owe. It will sell pretty quick.

O.K., No more sells pitches!

Hope this has helped you out.

Shawn