Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts? >

Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Notices

Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Hey guys, long time no see but im back for summer LOL. Does this boat seem priced low? I cant find an 86 Scarab III for near this price. Anything to look for on this model and year?

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/p..._id=65251&url=
Old 02-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Watch for stringer and transom rot. These are notorious for poorly finished limber holes and fittings which allow water to soak into the wood coring. Otherwise it is just a big slowish performance boat, good in the rough stuff, needs big power to see anything over 65 or so.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Glassdave has one on here he recently acquired-might be a real good deal if that is the type of boat you are looking for.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:29 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first thought clean yes / cheap no. Its 20 years old, a really heavy 1986 with TRS drives - if you wanted speed and upgraded power you'd end up destroying the drives and wanting Konrads(takes a lot to get speed out of it, a friend had same boat) If you kept it a couple years whats it going to be worth with Scarabs being no-more? Also check the add revision date at bottom - 8/05, its been for sale that long at least - offer him 16k and its a good deal. Theres an awful lot of boats out there in that price range - Good luck!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I tought about GlassDave too! Contact him!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by woody1
Hey guys, long time no see but im back for summer LOL. Does this boat seem priced low? I cant find an 86 Scarab III for near this price. Anything to look for on this model and year?

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/p..._id=65251&url=

Be careful with this one, it has been up for 6 months.

'spoke to them some time ago and asked some questions about servicing - especially the dries and they were very vague.

Suggest you also try making some silly offers on others too. I got a $10K reduction!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Registered

The boat is 20 years old! The motors have been messed with. Those look like car intakes. 530 hours probably not on them. If they are over 500 hours they are probably tired. The guages and dash are old and busted looking. I hate those morse controls. Not much more money would move you up a decade but what the heck do I know , I pimp rides for a living.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Wow. Thanks for the confidence guys. I guess I'll never sell my 1980 Flatdeck. It's 26 years old and is rock solid and has been up for six months also. It is winter ya know.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kaama377
Wow. Thanks for the confidence guys. I guess I'll never sell my 1980 Flatdeck. It's 26 years old and is rock solid and has been up for six months also. It is winter ya know.
No No No, be patient, I disagree with a couple of opinions on this thread. For one, six months is not that long of a time for a boat to be for sale, especially through the winter months. Secondly, what does it matter that it's 20 years old? In this case it does because it is mostly original, but many of these older boats have been completely gone though and updated, so whats 20 years old, the hull? The money in a high performance boat is in the engines, drives, steering, transmissions, etc. As long as the rest is sound then it doesn't really matter how old it is. A lot of people can't afford a 1995+ 34' boat. These older boats are solid and can rip through stuff that some of todays boats can't. Just my .02.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The valve covers look like the old Magnum or 425 HP models.

The intake looks like the HP Dual Plane, which is a high rise daul plane intake, they worked well with a spacer under the carb.

My old boat had those same guages. I swapped them out for some white guages and replaced the morse controls.

Last edited by Panther; 03-03-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to look at this Scarab III, your thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.