Notices

My 28 Excel after 4 years of work

Old 10-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My 28 Excel after 4 years of work

Originally Posted by Scarab28
Paul - wow what a transformation - Looks great. Couple questions - Looks like lots of gages - what are they all. Also what's up with what looks like a shifter in the center and one on the driver side. What material did you make the dash out of? What prop are you running that got you 83, I'm stuck at 80 but have other issues.

Al
I was setting up the boat to run in the OPA . What is not in the picture is the passenger side grab handle with trim and tab controls mounted in it. There is a full set of Livorsi Red Line gauges on the passenger side for the throtlemen. The trim indicators were also mounted on the left. I can switch the throttles from the right side or the center if I want to run the boat with two people. I find it more fun to run a boat with a driver and throtlman.

The gauge panel was there when I got the boat. I just added more gauges and covered it with white sign vinyl. Notice I do not have a speedo. I replaced it with a compass that was necessary for OPA. This winter I will also adding communicators. I no longer am thinking of running OPA , Im sticking to poker runs for now. But I am setting it up to race if I change my mind.

The prop I run was made by Bret at B blades. Its by far the best prop I ever run on the boat. Its a very thin , labed and re shaped to create bow lift. Its night and day compared to a stock prop.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Registered

Nice Jobs
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Unfortunately I blew the motor a few weeks ago. I had a head gasket leak and melted the #6 piston. I will be building a 700 hp motor for her the winter. I want to see 86+

Hay Strippoker did you have to cut the fire wall on yours to fit the blower pulley. I want yo use a 6-71 or 8-71 blower but I don't think I have the clearance to the fire wall. I know I will have to cut the top of the deck where the hatch sits. I am not sure that when I replaced the fire wall that it is in the same place. It might be a 1/2" closer to the motor. What do you think??
Your boat is looking great!! You have done a hell of a lot of work..I had to cut it.The lip right by the upper blower pulley prob about 2 inches,The top part is part of the top deck so that didn't move when you moved the firewall/bulk head. The bulk head below that I had to cut it out for the blower belt.The bottom pulley clears ok.It just 3/4 plywood with black carpet on it,If you take the blower off then install the engine you might not have to cut it as much,It didn't hurt anything on mine and didn't look bad at all.Hood scoop was pretty tall.

Also I had a Barry grant electric pump mounted on the fire wall .It had a hard time sucking fuel. I ended up mounted it as low as I could on that fire wall close to the floor by that drain hole .If I was low on fuel it wold lose prime. I also change out the pick ups inside the fuel tank to a # 10,

Also on the stock motor mounts ,the TQ of the motor cracked the stringer on the Port side from the motor pulling up on it in that area, it also cracked on the outside in that area.I am thinking that this was causing a hook in the hull on that side from the TQ.I never broke a mount though.

I still have the mirror I could trace out the hole if ya need.To cut the hole I took carboard and cut it to fit in to the lip in the compartment like the hatch sit in taped it in the back like a hinge ,I got a closer cut this way ,also had to cut more out of the back to clear it

If ya need any help just hollar

Rob

not a digital pick,it large though
http://www2.filehost.to/files/2006-1...clear_pick.jpg
Attached Thumbnails My 28 Excel after 4 years of work-0002-medium-.jpg   My 28 Excel after 4 years of work-robs.-picks-050-medium-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 10-24-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
I will be building a 700 hp motor for her the winter. I want to see 86+
Hey now there is an interesting number
What is so magic about 86mph

I sence a battle of the single big blocks comming to a river near you
Old 10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Old 10-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Hey now there is an interesting number
What is so magic about 86mph

I sence a battle of the single big blocks comming to a river near you

You Think
Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing

It looks great !!!

i have owned 2 Scarabs 21' and 38' Miami Vice

I loved those boats

You have done an awsome job and the boat looks classic yet modern
GREAT JOB!!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive always been a huge fan of Scarabs--really like your restoration..Sorry to hear about the blown engine..Oh well, sounds like it will be even faster next summer!!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I just made a deal on a 540 with a 8/71 . She should be stupid fast Now I need a stock pile of drives to blow

Hay strip , I need to see the photos of your old boat with the blower in it. I want to see what kind of hack job I have to do in order to fit the monster under the hatch.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just made a deal on a 540 with a 8/71 . She should be stupid fast Now I need a stock pile of drives to blow

Hay strip , I need to see the photos of your old boat with the blower in it. I want to see what kind of hack job I have to do in order to fit the monster under the hatch.
There's a few in the Scarab section.

Dont call it hack we are surgeons we cut with precision tools and make precision cuts

Congrats hope it flys

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: My 28 Excel after 4 years of work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.