84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT? >

84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?

Notices

84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?

Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?

I have an 84 Scarab II I hav had it for about a year I bought 2 502MPIs and ProChargers. But before I repower this ***** I want to figure out how I can tell if my hull is rotten or not? here is a pick
Old 09-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Re: 84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?

best thing is a moisture reader, or, a screwdriver pushing in any place you can see wood... but I prefer moisture meter...
Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have the same boat that Iam inthe process of doing a deck off resto,you will need to get a moisture meter to check the stringers and the bulk heads .Remove all access covers including the one's under the fridge and the sink check bulkheads especially there for cracks .Check forward access cover the one at the very front for cracks in bulk head that joins to the beginning of the stringers.Check all drain holes wth a screw driver for soft wood or no wood at all.Alot of times these holes were never resined up .
Mark
Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

thanks you guys I will let you know the out come in a few days, and where the heck can I get a moister meater?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo94gto
thanks you guys I will let you know the out come in a few days, and where the heck can I get a moister meater?
Try your local marine surveyor , throw him some green and have him make a profesional judgement. Most home inspectors use them too. I'd think any pretty good tool co. would know what they are. The surveyor will know what to look for though. Be ready to open a can of worms but sounds like you want to do it right the first time.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

ya I want to do it right but if I fined out the stringers are bad I am just going to sell the boat how it is now, and buy a newer one, I am just going ot have it checked out
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: 84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?

Im undertaking a project myself, I purchased a scarab 400 in feb last year, came from texas.. was told boat was ready for the water, engines and outdrives needed to be installed. YAY, SO upon checking of the engines after the boat was home, removal of the heads, threre was rust in the cyls but they HAD been re done. So I decided to clean the engine compartment, OYE...I was brushing it with a hand brush, on the floor, and I put the nose of the brush through the bulk head facing front where the gas tank is located. Holy crap, here comes the sawz all. Out comes the bulkhead...friend of mine who builds boats came to the house, we cut open all 4 stringers, found ROT. opened the sides of the stringers to dry out. Found rot inside the floor storage holes in the deck, The stringers were rotted there too. Cut them open to dry out. Found rot in the side stringers in the engine compartment...YAY those are out...Great transom is solid were the stringers WERE. Yesterday .Found the center stringer wet....VRRRRRRooom goes the sawz all, out it comes. Transom is wet and soft where center stringer met the transom, boat guy comes out, says to take the water pickups out,...did that stuck my fingers in the holes and found a very rotted and soft wood. Mean while the interior, cabin of the boat is in my basement getting re-done. OUCH. THis past week I took off of work to put her back together and found more crap. We "blocked" the stringers and re-fiber glassed em, all four behind the bulk head in the engine compartment and the 2 in the access storage hole left side and right side. Thats when I decided to check the center stringer. What a mistake. I have a checkmate, I re-did and it was not as stressfull as this. Luckily in the cabin the 2 sringers are good, the floor is good. I think where the air conditioner/ heater sits under the driver/pass seat is rotted too. All the bulk heads in the cabin seem solid. Thank god. Ima bout to take my chainsaw and cut the boat up and leave it for the trash men...any advice? im not a premium member because this Scarab is eating my wallet so if someone wants to repost it for me on a new thread, Id love it.

Dave
Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Wow! blast from the past!!! that boat looks familiar did you buy it with the yellow graphics still on it....or straight blue like in your pic? I was partners in that boat with a very good friend of mine for about 3 years....untill i needed to buy a house and had my buddy buy me out of it...he kept it for about another 2 yrs or so and sold it to someone in WA i think....
Attached Thumbnails 84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?-boat%40pier.jpg   84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?-scarab1.jpg   84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?-scarabengines.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Dave if you want to send me the pics of your project i can post them up for ya:
bigblockwally @ hotmail.com

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Registered

thanks wally, ill get to that. martin, I am replacing the stringers in the engine compartment, for sure, they are torn out. The stringers I am refering to are behind the engine compartment bulk head, and there was NO WAY i was pulling the top half of the boat off the hull in my back yard. I just crawled in with the good ol air saw and yanked out the rot and stopped cutting when i found solid wood. I left the boat cut open all summer because it was a hot summer and I didnt want to be locked into working on it when I was on my smaller boat, 86 checkmate enchanter...boy she moves...but thats a different thread. Id like to know what your thoughts are as to how to apply pressure to the new transom during the setting of it?

Quick Reply: 84 SCARAB II Rotten or NOT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.