Weight difference/kevlar vs. fiberglass >

Weight difference/kevlar vs. fiberglass

Notices

Weight difference/kevlar vs. fiberglass

Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight difference/kevlar vs. fiberglass

Can anyone tell me the weight difference between kevlar layup and fiberglass layup on a 38 excel 1991 model. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on engines 502/465HP vs 502/415HP, pros and cons on both in same above boat. Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Registered

Default Re: Weight difference/kevlar vs. fiberglass

I have an 89 kv and they are considerably lighter than a regular all fiberglass hull. The Kevlar is stronger so less material is needed to achieve the same or greater strenght. I know in 89 that advertised the 38 excell as 9800-10000 lbs depending on configuration. I have not weighed mine but my guess would be at least 2000 lbs lighter. Also a lot of the Kevlar hulls were Larry smith boats and had no cabin which accounted for a lot of the savings. As for power I was running 1500 total and ran just over 100 but my acceleration was great. I could regularly out run a lot of boats with more horsepower because I am so much lighter than they were. I am just about to test my new setup 2200-2400 total. Cant wait to see what she will do but back to the point more hp is usually better to a point. You can have it but you don't have to use it all the time it is also easier on a motor to run at 50% than to always be running a smaller setup at 80% or more to run where you want. It depends on how you will be using the boat. I like to cruise at 70-80 so I run tall gears and props and keep the rpm's down but have the hp on tap when I want to fly. I only turn 3900 rpm's at 80 you cant do that with low hp.

Hope some of my ramblings help.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info 427 eliminator.Sounds like a cool boat your running. I have a 1987 KV now,Does not run like yours, about 61mph. I have it for sale right now,looking at a 1991 excel to buy wiht kevlar hull,no larry smith, full cabin. Like to see some pics of your boat. Thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Not sure Wellcraft ever made Kevlar?? Specially an Excel.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Originally Posted by iamfaster
It was an option in the sales brochures.
The old Scarab KV , The KV was short for kevlar.
You could even get a 28 excel in Kevlar.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Hi HotBoat, Thanks for the reply, I have a 1987 38 KV fiberglass hull. I was told at one point that there would a K in the serial number if it was kevlar. Mine does not have a K in it, so there might be something to it. Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by iamfaster
Hi iamfaster, I looked at a 38 excel the other day that had kevlar stamped below the serial number. I would think that meant it was a kevlar hull. Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

XS thanks. I always thought that the KV was for kevlar.

paul
Old 11-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
It was an option in the sales brochures.
The old Scarab KV , The KV was short for kevlar.
You could even get a 28 excel in Kevlar.
I posted all the brochures and a price sheet from 1989-1990 kevlar opts
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=137909

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Registered

I ordered a 1987 Wellcraft 38 KV new. I also shopped a Larry Smith 38. When comparing the two I could never get a straight answer from the dealer as to the weight of the Kevlar setup. I KNEW the Larry Smith kevlar was thousands of pounds lighter. The dealer got frustrated with me and said "why don't you call Gus Anastasia at the factory and ask him" I did and Gus very honestly explained to me that Wellcraft could not afford to do the Kevlar layup the way Larry Smith did it with 14-15 layers of very thin kevlar curing over a period of several weeks. Wellcraft had to throw 3-4 really thick, heavy layers in and get that boat out of the mold in under one day. So the weight savings would MAX out at 700 pounds he said, might be as little as 400-500. This was my second Scarab and I knew Gus pretty well from visiting the plant and attending several dealer meetings but I still thought it was a very candid answer. He also added that it STLL would be much, much stronger than the glass layup and that was why it was being done for guys who wanted an unbreakable hull in true offshore, not for dramatic weight savings.
Also, the KV in 38 KV has nothing to do with Kevlar, it stands for Kaama Vice. The early 80's flat deck 38's were called Kaama's after Betty Cook's race boat and when the 38 achieved Miami Vice fame later they just called it Kaama Vice. KV for short, they all had that designation, it's mentioned in the brochures from back in the day, I just dug one out. I went with glass and mine had the KV plastered all over the boat

Quick Reply: Weight difference/kevlar vs. fiberglass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.