Larry Smith Scarab >

Larry Smith Scarab

Notices

Larry Smith Scarab

Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larry Smith Scarab

Could anyone please tell me the specific differences in construction lay up, materials ect,between a Larry Smith and Wellcraft Scarab(.I have my eye on the L Smith for sale on the forem).The boat will be run Hard in the Atlantic Ocean.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered

The Larry Smith scarabs were made in SoCal at Team Scarab
and were hand layedup in molds in SoCal.
Wellcraft Scarabs were made at Wellcraft in Sarasota Fl.
Mike J.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Aside from the geographic locations where they are made ,do you know the specific differences in the construction process.(I am very interested in the LS Scarab for sale in Canada and for my intended use of the boat need to know specific differences it and a production Scarab)
Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wellcraft Scarabs were production boats, LS Scarabs were not. LS Scarabs are built and rigged much much better.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

Specifically though how are they built and rigged better ?(For example ,do they have extra stringers ,are they carben fiber,are they left in the mold longer,ect,ect).I intend to run this boat HARD in the Atlantic.(Any one that has ever raced off Point Pleasant NJ knows what i am talking about ).Years ago a friend of mine had a 30 Scarab Panther that we almost broke in two out there so i just want to be sure.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Registered

Hull & deck are great, all depends on who rigged it
Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
Specifically though how are they built and rigged better ?(For example ,do they have extra stringers ,are they carben fiber,are they left in the mold longer,ect,ect).I intend to run this boat HARD in the Atlantic.(Any one that has ever raced off Point Pleasant NJ knows what i am talking about ).Years ago a friend of mine had a 30 Scarab Panther that we almost broke in two out there so i just want to be sure.
Kinda like this. LS designed the Scarab. LS and his team are master craftsmen and built the boats one at a time. Perfect. Expense not spared on parts or the labor to put it together.

Wellcraft licensed to build and did production runs using whomever for the labor, none being a master craftsmen to the likes of Team Scarab. The Corporate mindset drove the cost of materials and labor at Wellcraft.

The two different brands of Scarabs are like comparing apples to oranges. They really are not comparable. My Scarab is a Wellcraft Scarab, I like it but drool and dream of a LS Scarab someday. Kinda like who do you want to build your Nextel Cup racer, Hendrick Motorsport, or Bob's Racers?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

I have been gone all week, I have info on the 26LS Scarabs from 1st to Stright bottom What is the hull ID # Mine is the 4th
one The first was made for Tom Gentry and the last time I checked it was still in Hawaii.
Most of the Team Scarab LS Hulls were made by the same person and his crew his name is Ruddy Munez and he lives
close by my home in the Hi-Desert of SoCal.
The 26 Boats were rigged both at team Scarab or by some of
the best Riggers in the business.
There are records of the Building of each hull but they are in
storage and I do not have access to them, Lets first start with
the ID # My ID Starts with SQE101----88 and It should be one the Stbd rear, There is also another place the number is that
is glassed in side the boat.
Mike J.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Kinda like this. LS designed the Scarab. LS and his team are master craftsmen and built the boats one at a time. Perfect. Expense not spared on parts or the labor to put it together.

Wellcraft licensed to build and did production runs using whomever for the labor, none being a master craftsmen to the likes of Team Scarab. The Corporate mindset drove the cost of materials and labor at Wellcraft.

The two different brands of Scarabs are like comparing apples to oranges. They really are not comparable. My Scarab is a Wellcraft Scarab, I like it but drool and dream of a LS Scarab someday. Kinda like who do you want to build your Nextel Cup racer, Hendrick Motorsport, or Bob's Racers?

Sounds like the difference beteween an LS Scarab and a Wellcraft Scarab are like the difference between a Pachanga and a Wellcraft!

Had ta throw this punch. I read so many threads about how the Wellcraft Scarabs are so wonderfully problem free from a few on here! I would love to hear from someone who has had a hull or structural stability problem from a Pachanga that was properly maintained and not left sitting out to rot!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lay up difference of the fiberglass is night an day. The decks are different. The weight is probally 1/3 less on the L/S.

Quick Reply: Larry Smith Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.