Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Scarab rebuild >

Scarab rebuild

Notices

Scarab rebuild

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim- just checking in on your progess and here to remind you the boating season starts in about 14 weeks and a couple of days but who's counting. Not to stress you out or anything.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Hey Jim,how u doing on your rebuild?Found some transom rot in mine last week!!!Just a minor setback LOL!!
Attached Thumbnails Scarab rebuild-transom-replacement-001.jpg   Scarab rebuild-transom-replacement-004.jpg   Scarab rebuild-transom-replacement-003.jpg  

Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Hey Live Wire AKA Kevin. Its a bit hard to think boats when we are planing a snowmobile trip in 2 weeks hahhaa.. I am owring on a plan to but that boat in to the shop by march. What do you think? will it fit??

Also justice I am in no better shape then you right now. The resin is a bit tough to work with with 24 deg weather lol.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMASCARAB
I have a 1977 30' scarab that i've been working on for 4 years now. All new transom, engine compartment stringers, and all the bulkheads, none of them wood- all nidacore. I chucked the TRS's and bolted on Kaama drives. I'm still working on it- maybe it'll run next year LOL!! Anyways keep whaling away on your Scarab it'll be a cool machine!!!
A build thread and Pics PLEASE !!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

nice work!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jim8860
more pics. One more question how much horsepower can the TRS hold?
Mercury rates TRS to handle 600 HP. I'm run'n naturally aspirated 600's through Velvet glides that were built by Tom Huber. Hot Knots dyno'd mine at the shafts to be 576 HP port and 574 HP starboard. I did blow a drive 9 hrs into the rebuild, but it was a gear failure due to a bad cast. Can't really blame that on HP, but it did make it happen sooner.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,

Good luck on your scarab rebuild! It's going to be a long hard road as many of us have gone through or are going trough but in the end your going to have a real nice boat.

Good Luck and welcome to the scarab community

...Jim
Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

well it's been a long time.... re-branding my company having a child and car accident .... In the north east spring is in the air. I have a 377 Kamma and I am getting back to it. I am on the fence I have tons of new parts that are aging tons of good parts that are in A1 shape all the drives and parts been inside for a long time the motors are fresh but the hull is rough. I really love to restore this classic. I know this is a big job however I do this style of work on cars and trucks. My guess I would need about 10 grand in extra parts plus the cost of a paint work that I have to send out. What would this boat be worth or is it worth it Over the last few years these go fast types of boats have dipped in price. Could i sell my parts and add the cash and get me a new style boat?? I know the Kamma is a real cool boat and not to many people can owen one or even seen one .... Thats what makes it cool however the new stuff is so much faster ... Any input and price/value on a Kamma with twin 500 hp BB and TRS's looking real sweet with all new stringers, transom and paint...http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/i...s/more/daz.gif Thanks