Finally Put Trim Tabs on my Scarab 22 >

Finally Put Trim Tabs on my Scarab 22

Notices

Finally Put Trim Tabs on my Scarab 22

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Put Trim Tabs on my Scarab 22

Had the '96 Scarab 22 for 5 years. Don't use it that much (100 hrs). I have a Maycraft 17 CC with a 60 E-tech and I put Bennett TTs on it. What a difference. This was my first expereince with TTs. So I contacted Bennett and they recommended the ST12 Sport tabs for the Scarab. I installed them this past weekend. Also got the Bennett auto retractor and auto trim tab controller but not installed yet. I have a 454 with an MSD box, coil and distributor; an Edelbrock dual plane and an Edelbrock 650 CFM Marine carb turning a B1 24. The boat rides rough in 1 to 2 foot chop unless I stick the outdrive all the way down then my handling and performance go to hell. Based on my limited Maycraft TT experience, I would expect to be able to really trim the boat for optimum ride then trim the motor for max performance. The Bennett literature said more speed (current best is 62MPH), smoother ride, better fuel economy, better handling, etc.

So I thought I would ask the experts who have a lot of experience with TTs. What improvements can I really expect? I would find out myself except my 22 has the sun deck off getting new upholstery and it is still winterized.

Ed
Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get used to using them the boat seems incomplete with out them.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference is like night and day. Take some time to get to know how your boat responds and what setting makes it ride smooth in a good chop. My 26' Scarab likes for the tabs to be in the neutral position - barely/to not touching the water in mild chop making the tabs an extension of you hull. A small click down in the swells. Careful in the swells with too much tab or you might stuff it when coming off the swell if it not timed right. With the tabs you can make the boat run flatter than a pancake or launch like a rocket.

Last edited by satisfactionII; 03-18-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: speeling