88 Excel Nearing Finish Finally! >

88 Excel Nearing Finish Finally!

Notices

88 Excel Nearing Finish Finally!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glenn it was a pleasure to meet you, sorry we didnt have more time to hang out. My phone was dead most of the weekend. Using my gps and camera killed the battery fast and i didnt have a car charger.

I so sorry about the boat. it looked awesome in person. I love the haller as well. I do have to say you have some set of balls to run that hull that fast. After we talked i did a prop slip calculation at lunch and we couldnt believe what it said. You ran close to where we had the boat set to run. Truly incredible. I will say I will never try and beat that record. to bad the radar run was canceled. we were looking forward to seeing it run.

So Just for the record. I didnt see the boat run but I did see the setup and there is no reason it couldnt run well over 130mph

Insane .......... thats all i can say .

Hope you get it back together

Paul
Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Registered

Thanks Paul. I never wanted to say a lot on here about numbers, because I just didn't want to have to argue about anything. Kinda felt like it would just be best to wait until the numbers were posted. As far as balls go with this hull, once I found some clean water- the hardest part of driving it to that speed was holding my head up from the wind off the bow. The boat itself felt strong and stable at the speed. As far as running it in the rough water, thanks- but no thanks. I kept it about 45 for most of the day. There's a you tube video of me running around a dcb with twin 300 or 350 outboards on our way to the first stop. I managed a respectable pull to run around him, but I couldn't maintain it for too long before I started getting tossed around real bad. I still haven't decided what to do from here. I'm kinda thinking a 39' gtx or 42' lightning with 2 of these motors would be a really good time, and a lot more comfortable. I just don't know what to do. Seems like a real waste to scrap such a cool project now, after so much time, effort, and money. I still really haven't gotten to see what it can really do. On the same hand though, I'd really hate to spend another 40-45 grand to fix it, and pretty much be at the end of it's capabilities. Not to mention questioning if the bottom will ever be the same and safe to try to run these numbers again.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow - that really sucks - I thought I had bad luck - Great numbers Glenn.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Registered

So I decided to let the boat sit for a few months while I calmed my nerves a bit... Decided to go ahead and try the shootout again this year. I've made a few changes, nothing too serious- dropped from the 1.3 ratio down to a 1.19 ratio in the drive, and I'm gonna spin it ccw now. Also pulled some dead weight out. Wanted to see if Paul is still around, wanna kick some aerodynamics ideas back and forth... Also, for you excel28 guys, I tried a new prop that seems to work VERY well on our boats. My prop guy had been trying to get me to run it for a while, and I finally broke down and decided to test it. It's a Ron Hill Signature series 5 blade. Had a TON of trim response vs bravo1 props and any of the Maximus props I ran previously. Should be a great prop for anyone with shallower propshaft depths, and should work well with up to about 850-900hp. I expanded the blades on mine about 1 1/2" within the first 4 minutes of testing, but Chad Hill is casting another for me with thicker blades and a stouter root... Could be interesting!

Paul, if your still around, pm me please... I wanna see what your perspective is on a couple lil things...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember meeting you right after your whole incident in Havasu. We talked in the parking lot on Sunday outside of autozone right before we left town. Your boat was covered in oil from that whole mess! Anyways, Im glad to hear you got the boat fixed and will be running again in the top speed shootout.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
I remember meeting you right after your whole incident in Havasu. We talked in the parking lot on Sunday outside of autozone right before we left town. Your boat was covered in oil from that whole mess! Anyways, Im glad to hear you got the boat fixed and will be running again in the top speed shootout.
Yep, I remember that... Small world... Think it was O'Reilly actually. I was pretty bummed about the whole thing at the time, but I've got a better outlook on things now, should be a fun event this time around!