Opinions Please.......38' Scarab and 33' Scarab >

Opinions Please.......38' Scarab and 33' Scarab

Notices

Opinions Please.......38' Scarab and 33' Scarab

Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Please.......38' Scarab and 33' Scarab

I've owned a few 29' Fountains, a few Scarabs(97' 31' being the biggest of the Scarabs), and now I'm wanting to step it up. I've been looking at a 1996 38' Scarab with twin 502mpi's(the second gen. that have the serpentine belt and revised fuel system). Main issue is it being about 1800 miles away and no trailer. I'm also looking at a 2001 33' Scarab AVS. The 33' has the same engines as the 38'. Naturally I know the 33' is newer, appears to be nicer, has the twin stepped hull. Naturally, I know it's going to be the faster of the two. Is there anything in particular that needs to be observed or problems that are known from each of these boats? They're both roughly the same price also. Thanks in advance for any help and/or opinions.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered

I own a 96 38 scarab that i have had for 10 years and I think it is great I done poker runs from miami to key west and handles rough water great a couple of yours ago we built some big motors for it and I love it even better
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a 31' and now a 38'. The 38' definatly rides smoother ( and heavier). I've never been in a 33' but have heard that they can roll in fast corners. So be careful.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input so far. IF I went with the 38' Scarab, I was hoping to score some 575sci's a guy I know has. That would probably be further down the road on time frame though. I have heard that stepped hulls have a tendency to "spin out", but I personally have never experienced that in my stepped hull boat(s) or any others I've been in.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86RedRocket
Thanks for the input so far. IF I went with the 38' Scarab, I was hoping to score some 575sci's a guy I know has. That would probably be further down the road on time frame though. I have heard that stepped hulls have a tendency to "spin out", but I personally have never experienced that in my stepped hull boat(s) or any others I've been in.
575s are what I am running. With superchillers, 28" B1s @650hp it fund right at about 75 at 5k rpm. Once I get all the bugs out I want to try to squeeze alittle more top end out . I'd like to see 80 but you know how that is. Then I'll want 85. Mike
Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
575s are what I am running. With superchillers, 28" B1s @650hp it fund right at about 75 at 5k rpm. Once I get all the bugs out I want to try to squeeze alittle more top end out . I'd like to see 80 but you know how that is. Then I'll want 85. Mike
I know the feeling. After a prop change I had my 29' Fountain running 81 on the gps. Engines were completely stock 502mpi's(415 hp ea.). I still wanted more, but mods can get rather costly after a prop change to get more out of one.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 33 and it is a great boat. I am running a pair of 540's and a friend of mine has stock 502's in a 31 and I burn about 40% less fuel.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered

Mike wrote:
Sorry for jumping on this thread. Did you purchase the 38 Scarab? I am selling an great 38 Scarab with everything i mean everything just brand new and still has not seen the water. Max Machine worx XR Drives, built 525SC's, it's on the classified adds. If interested let me know. This a dream boat for an used one. Will pay for plane ticket if you find anything wrong with this boat and will pay for anyone/mechainc you would like to take it too

Originally Posted by 86RedRocket
I know the feeling. After a prop change I had my 29' Fountain running 81 on the gps. Engines were completely stock 502mpi's(415 hp ea.). I still wanted more, but mods can get rather costly after a prop change to get more out of one.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Both really cool boats. the traditional V hull 38 is a condo on the water...wave crusher. Needs big power to really move with some speed of boats built today.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies. Bad news on the 38' Scarab. After having a shipper that would transport it(boat did not have a trailer), finding a trailer to get me by for the time being here in my state, and having a surveyor lined up, the broker hits me with what would be a major detail left out in previous conversations. We were going down the list of things he knew about the boat one last time. I had asked previously if this boat was a factory color or if it had been painted. He thought it was factory. Well after our last talk he mentioned that the boat had been painted and that the graphics were NOT removed and painter had painted over them!! Basically I was going to have to remove the graphics and have it painted attempting to blend it in w/the existing paint. That killed the deal for me. To my knowledge the 33' AVS that I was looking at is now sold. I will continue my search for another boat it seems. Again, thanks for all the input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.