Need help with a 26 Scarab >

Need help with a 26 Scarab

Notices

Need help with a 26 Scarab

Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a 26 Scarab

I just bought a 96 Scarab 26 with a 502. There are a couple little things I would like to fix on it since they are not working before I get started on making it faster.

My question is with the gauge cluster/panel. The water temp gauge doesnt work and I want to replace it. I also noticed that the fuel gauge is seperating from the base, it still works though. I would love to just upgrade to all new gauges but I'm not sure about the compatibility with new vs old.

Whats the best way to go about replacing the gauges. I looked at trying to remove the panel as one piece but there is a ton of **** to disconnect mainly the linkage and the trim/tabs indicators. Electrically I'm confident, it's the linkage for the tabs that I've never messed witht that worries me. Plus I don't want to create any extra work for myself. Any advice is welcomed, thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...26-scarab.html

Check this link out there are several pics of rebuilt dashes. I just got finished putting all new gauges in my 96 and also repainting the vinyl. Its not to hard technically but it is time consuming. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Registered

Yeah I've read thru that thread lots of pics but no technical info. I was looking for more of a "how do" thread. Thank you for the response. I'm going to look thru it again anyway.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered

Just replaced the temp gauge on mine a month ago...sucked. The face separated from the gauge. Found a set of scarab gauges on ebay and replaced it. Undid the fuse panel below the steering wheel and went up through there. Hot as heck and had some scratches from the opening but got it done.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

When I did mine...I spent some time searching ebay, got a complete dash with a full set of guages for twins for $100, came out of a factory test boat. hour meter on the tachs read 4.3, so they were basically new. pull the panel, swap, replace panel.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Registered

So I got the Dash and gauge cluster out this weekend. I'm going to replace all the gauges since I got the thing out. When replacing them do you need to get new sending units also or will the Livorsi just swap out using your existing sending units?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Registered

I was able to use all of my stock sending units and the gauges all function properly. I had to buy a dremel tool and make the tach and speedo hole slightly larger for the gauges to fit. Other than that all of the gauges should be a direct replacement, the new livorsi tach has a built in digital hour meter therefore I removed my stock analog hour meter and installed an oil temp gauge. I would recommend while you have the dash all apart buying some vinyl dye (I bought mine in a spray can off of ebay) and repainting the dash it looks awsome.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Registered

I was thinking that already. Thanks for your input it's been very helpful.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

I will post a few pics when I get time go get in the boat and take a few, you will probably have yours complete by that time though
lol
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered

Thumbs down

Well I cannot post pics because I do not have a subscription sorry about that, give me your email and I can send you some pics of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.