33 avs dry exhaust? >

33 avs dry exhaust?

Notices

33 avs dry exhaust?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 33 avs dry exhaust?

I was thinking of running dry exhaust using my gil / merc stuff and 8 inch turn downs for mufflers. What I'm worried about is reversion. the avs sets so low in the water that if I have 3 or 4 people sitting on the back the exhaust is half under water. I know in theory with the turn downs all ready deep under water that would prevent a flood of water from a roller getting in. But would I have other problems? Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering what is the advantage to runnin dry
Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by humpster
just wondering what is the advantage to runnin dry
HP, and it sounds bada$$ besides

In the stock exit location you will need jacketed tips so that the water dumps at the same point as the exhaust exits in order to avoid the previously mentioned burned flappers. I run the Eickert cast headers dry to jacketed tips with flappers and have never had a reversion issue.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, I've already got to rebuild my tips cause the internal flappers are burned out. So I could build then how ever I need to, jacketed etc., that's why I'm thinking dry. BUT kansas has a 92 db law at idle, hence the turn downs.
Scarabman, what's your boat run, what power?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfirebird
Cool, I've already got to rebuild my tips cause the internal flappers are burned out. So I could build then how ever I need to, jacketed etc., that's why I'm thinking dry. BUT kansas has a 92 db law at idle, hence the turn downs.
Scarabman, what's your boat run, what power?
I have the Volvo 600 DPX set-up. The boat runs a shade over 92 factory stock on a good day. Everyday speeds are around 90.

The Exhaust tips I have are made by Corsa. They do not fasten to the transom. They are fastened to the headers directly. Just throwing that out there becuase you will have to modify your transom just slightly since you cannot use a rubber exhaust hose connection if you go dry.

As far as decibels go, NJ actually has a full time muffler requirement so I do actually have clamp-on mufflers on mine. They keep at about 94 db at idle. They did cost a little top speed but I do have 2 little kids that go boating with me anyway.