Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Getting some performance out of this thing... >

Getting some performance out of this thing...

Notices

Getting some performance out of this thing...

Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LTSB 29 Scarab
Yeah, I' have thought about just buying another boat but if I went that route the one I would want would cost about the same as my house. I could afford it but I don't like the fact of having another 15 year loan. The 02 is paid for and is in excellent shape so putting 20-25K into it doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me. I'm not really worried about resale after the mods, I didn't buy the thing with the intention of making money selling it. All that being said, the 85 mph was just an arbitrary figure. I'm going to go with the superchargers and see how it does, I mean, after that it should run a hell of a lot better and if it gets to 80 instead of 85 it's not going to break my heart. I've been trying to do some research on headers but I'm getting a lot of mixed results. I've heard from some people that the superchargers need the back pressure from a exhaust manifolds but common sense tells me that headers always offer an improvement in performance. BTW, I put the Rev 4s on it yesterday and tried them out. 62 mph at 3900 rpms. It hurt top end quite a bit but for what its worth it did seem to have better acceleration.
Prochargers do make some power, but the Whipple set-up is way better engineered. Talk to Dustin at Whipple and he will let you know definitely wether you need to swap exhausts or not.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LTSB 29 Scarab
Yeah, I' have thought about just buying another boat but if I went that route the one I would want would cost about the same as my house. I could afford it but I don't like the fact of having another 15 year loan. The 02 is paid for and is in excellent shape so putting 20-25K into it doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me. I'm not really worried about resale after the mods, I didn't buy the thing with the intention of making money selling it. All that being said, the 85 mph was just an arbitrary figure. I'm going to go with the superchargers and see how it does, I mean, after that it should run a hell of a lot better and if it gets to 80 instead of 85 it's not going to break my heart. I've been trying to do some research on headers but I'm getting a lot of mixed results. I've heard from some people that the superchargers need the back pressure from a exhaust manifolds but common sense tells me that headers always offer an improvement in performance. BTW, I put the Rev 4s on it yesterday and tried them out. 62 mph at 3900 rpms. It hurt top end quite a bit but for what its worth it did seem to have better acceleration.
I understand where you're coming from, but for my money I would look into something that is already done like this one:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o26308-en.html

Has the hydrolic steering and superchargers already, it's a bigger/better boat and if you sold yours for a reasonable price you should have much less into this one that your current rig built, not to mention that the ceiling on this boat is much higher if you want to juice up the speed down the road.

It's one thing to not plan on making money on buying and selling a boat, but it's another to throw away a ton of cash trying to go fast for 2-3 years. It's not uncommon to do and if you want to get over 85-90 it seems that throwing away a ton of cash is inevitable, but I would try to mitigate it as much as possible...