Is this worth 5k? >

Is this worth 5k?

Notices

Is this worth 5k?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this worth 5k?

Hey guys, looking to get in to power boating and wanted to start off with a project. This guy is asking $5k for this 77' scarab 300, there are a few things that need to be fixed up with her as listed by owner. He claims the engines run well one with 300, the other with 1000 hours. They are a set of 350's.

-Does not have any receipts or service records
-Carbs could use a rebuild (in his terms)
-No cover
-Steering cable broke last time he was out ( any idea on cost to repair?)
-(His words) "The hydraulic work manually meaning you can raise and lower the motors by jumping the siliond. This leads me to think the switches need to be cleaned upped or replaced.One hydraulic cylinder if off the boat and could to be rebuilt or replaced or not the drive raises and lowers just fine with one.
One of the out drives doent spin in reverse. I dont know why I think it is a linkage problem."

So I know this is a bit of a project, however if the stringers, and transom check out and are not rotted, do you think it is worth $5k? It seems like he is pretty motivated to get rid of it to make room for his new boat so I think he might come down to $4k.

Thanks for help. I'm new to owning a boat, but I know my way around an engine and electrical system. Am I getting in to deep water here?

http://s1032.photobucket.com/albums/...chael_LeDonne/

Last edited by bigmike253; 08-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

figure on atleast 5 times the purchase price to make it a usable boat.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

Depends how much you are going to have to put into it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Registered

thanks, but neither answer was helpful.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Registered

This is a link to the ad for the previous owner, shows it a bit more cleaned up.

http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=74449
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like its worth $5K to me. Just get a survey. The interior looks like it was already re-done. It seems weird to me that he's willing to go from $16K to $5K, usually deals like that are kind of screwy. He'd probably get an offer of more than $5K if he put it up for $12...
Old 08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered

Big, I have a 77 300 and love it.... Mine was basically a barn find but was all original just in need of TLC and some minor motor work... couple of things you will need to look for... Obviously the transome and stringers... if they are sound and the engines are in decent running condition then the basics are covered... probably has TRS drives and Merctrans II transmissions....Drives are basically bullet proof... just pressure test and reseal if needed.... change the fluid in the trans to B & M trick shift and rerout the cooling dump from the trans from dumping in the exhaust manifold to dump thru hull.... this will cool the trans much better.... The electronic shifters are junk and NO replacement parts are readily available.... convert to cable shift and eleminate that issue... can be done with conversion linkage, shifter and cables... well worth it if the electronic shifters are a problem....
Old 08-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Big Mike , If you can get the boat for $4000 or $5000 its still a great way to get into boating...Even if you have to stick another $2000 or $3000 into it your going to have a nice boat. Spend some money and have the boat surveyed and if its not too bad buy it and clean the crap out of it.Restore anything you can yourself and then tackle one problem at a time.Most of the time people get too lazy to fix things themselves and wind up letting things go or paying someone else to fix it.....The boat looks to be in decent shape so go for it .If you need any help Im sure the guys on the Forum will answer any questions you have.

Jim
Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, it looks like the boat was offered at 16k a few ears ago by the owner before the current one. This new owner has it for 5k. I think I will definitely have it surveyed. and take it from there. Will keep u guys updated!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the boat still in Washington? If so, I wouild recommend having the current owner bring it to Eastside Offshore up in Kirkland and have John go thru it. He will give you an accurate survey and then you will know what you are dealing with.
It looks like its in decent condition but if you have to put $15,000 into it you are better off looking at a newer boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.