Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Could Someone Over Here Inform Me What Scarab This Is ?? >

Could Someone Over Here Inform Me What Scarab This Is ??

Notices

Could Someone Over Here Inform Me What Scarab This Is ??

Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could Someone Over Here Inform Me What Scarab This Is ??

Found a Scarab II sitting forever and really have no idea what year or length it is . Been up to it and has TRS - 330 HP engines . Boat is a total mess and I have a plan for it . Read the VIN and and says 1981 , can this be right ?? Also what type speed will it run with twin Trs -330 hp , 60 mph ? What is the value of a non running , boat like this that has been in weather uncovered for many years , 5 k ? Is it a 30 or 35 ?

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Could Someone Over Here Inform Me What Scarab This Is ??-dscn4642.jpg  

Last edited by KEVLARKAT32; 09-24-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you like to work on your boat? Or do you like to go boating? People think I'm crazy, but I love to tinker on (rebuild) boats. It just helps to have other boats to go out on.

If you think about value, think about what a quick sale would be for TRS drives, transom assemblies, 72C trannies, and 330's (all unknown condition). $5k would be pushing it. The trailer might be worth a k to someone? The hull will cost you just to throw it away... I'd bet it's got bad rot.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

its an old quasi covered wellcraft that hs been sitting... look it over good, may need stringers and a transom, do the motors even spin? looks like it has been parked for a while, water pooled inside, critters make a nice home? mold? sft spots on the foor?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Registered

If it's an 81 it has to be one of two models, a 30 or a 38. Looks like the raised deck version. Not the flat deck.
30 ft flat deck was called S Type and the raised deck Scarab II. 38 Flat deck was called Kaama Edition (same style as a 38kv), and the raised deck was called 377. It's either a 30 ft Scarab II or a 38 foot 377. I think I see the lettering Scarab II on the raised white portion of the deck right where it should be, the proportions look like a 30 also.
Arch was not an option back then. If it has been uncovered with water inside the hull the stringers and transom are shot for sure. Even if it is dry it's almost a given that there will be troubles in that area.

Last edited by LeeS; 09-26-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Registered

Thanks guys !! Its bigger than a 30 for sure so it must be 38 . I have been doing resto work for 30 years and just finishing up my 32 Skater . I have a plan to make this a 60 MPH Charter boat , rip the cabin put in new toilet, remove drivetrain , install pair 357 Scorpion with bravo and take people for rides . Working on ins right now . Any and all glass work I do in house . Not looking to restore this , just make it structurally sound , shiny and dependable . The clientele that I will be dealing with with think 60 MPH is fast , we all know 100 + is fast

Thanks
Larry
Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

looks like a 377 raised deck scarab, predecessor to the 38. One of these basically, great riding boats in rough water.

http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=82983
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.