Pulling the motors? Has TRS drives need help

Notices

Pulling the motors? Has TRS drives need help

Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the motors? Has TRS drives need help

Guys,

I am pulling my motors because one is making noise. I have a 34' Scarab III with 502's and vevelt/ trs's I started to do the teardown but I got to the bellhousing bolts and realized that you have to pull the trans also. I have never pulled the boat motors before so I am kindof lost. Do I have to take the 2 big bolts off of the trans in the back and my motor mount bolts? or is there more? I will be pulling the transimission's because I dont have a way to support. Please help.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadglide99
Guys,

I am pulling my motors because one is making noise. I have a 34' Scarab III with 502's and vevelt/ trs's I started to do the teardown but I got to the bellhousing bolts and realized that you have to pull the trans also. I have never pulled the boat motors before so I am kindof lost. Do I have to take the 2 big bolts off of the trans in the back and my motor mount bolts? or is there more? I will be pulling the transimission's because I dont have a way to support. Please help.
The trans isn't really all that heavy. You could support it with a couple of 2X4's if you want to.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the two big bolts on the tailstock. I've never pulled them without pulling the drive. When pulling them together I had to angle the assembly at about a 45 degree angle. I've also pulled the engine and left the tranny hanging with some motorcycle tiedowns holding them up. One time one lost it's support and was hanging by the two bolts and drive shaft. no damage.

I think pulling them together is easier (once you get the angle down)

Last edited by jackhammer; 10-25-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done mine so many times it seems like they have zippers on them. It's so much easier to pull the whole trans. with the motor. Remove the 2 rear bolts. When you lift the motor up about 3" you have to pull it foward to get the drive shaft out of the trans. It is a little tricky to get them out of the engine box. Just don't try to rush it. What I have found out is how many friends you have. 3 works out fine. Also I have never removed the drive. When putting them back in what I do is use a coat hanger to hold the input shaft to the drive up to guide it into the rear of the trans.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way easier to pull tranny with motor!