Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
New Scarab Owner Need Help Please!! >

New Scarab Owner Need Help Please!!

Notices

New Scarab Owner Need Help Please!!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scarab Owner Need Help Please!!

Hello, I am new to the power boat sport. I just bought a 29 ft scarab 1998 twin small blocks. It was a repossed boat and needs some work. Please let me know where to get the following or atleast a good place to start it would be very much appriciated.

Motors appear to be fresh and run great.
    It has Bravo I drives. I hear these are good drives, is this true?
    What is the correct way to winterize this boat?
    Place I bought it from said it will cruise 3/4 throttle at 75MPH does this sound correct? It has Hardin full exhaust as well.
    Where is a good place to buy accessories for this boat.?

I know I am a pain with all of these questions but any help at all would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks adam
    Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
    Registered
    VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was that the one on ebay.I hate to tell you but i doubt it does 75 at 3/4 throttle because the props on it were 23 pitch mirage plus.Good luck with it.
    Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
    Registered

Originally Posted by excalibur82
    Was that the one on ebay.I hate to tell you but i doubt it does 75 at 3/4 throttle because the props on it were 23 pitch mirage plus.Good luck with it.
    Yes thats the exact boat....... You say that like I bought a peice of junk... It sounded fast to me but thats what the mechanic said that worked there who test drove it. Anyways, any help with where to look for these parts I need?
    Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM
    Registered

Originally Posted by excalibur82
    You are right about the props, how could you tell the pitch from so far away in the pictures? Whats the best way to know what props right for your boat. I understand that if it wont get out of the hole its way to high of a pitch and if it revs way to high they are to low. But with the small blocks I have what should be WOT RPM or how do you know how to fine tune them. What are the advantages of 3,4,5 blade propellers? Also what the water tank for on the boat? has a place for fresh water and a holding tank.. Whats that used for. I know all of these questions are kinda funny to you guys but I can use all the help I can get with this one
    Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
    Registered
    VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not saying it is a POS. I like the 29 scarab i think they are a nice boat.I am just saying that there is no way that it does 75 mph with those props unless your spinning it 6200 and it was only 3/4.The only way to see what props you need is your going to have to put it in the water and see what kind of rpms your getting. Bring a gps too.I would think you would not want to spin them more than 5200 or so.After you do that then you can get a baseline to see what you need
    Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
    Registered

look at other threads , with sb in it , 60 to 65 mph , just look around
    Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
    Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Dont be offended when these guys tell you some thing;The guys are just trying to help you and they are right on the money with the speed.As far as the gauges go there is a company in florida called Flounder Pounder Marine on the net that might be able to help with used gauges. Dont bother with the used kill switches buy new ones for about $20.00 each..
    You can also buy new stainless hinges for the hatches from a good marine store ...F.P. might also have them..
    A good upholstry guy can fashion new cushions and make a new bench seat for you.If you need any other info --- ask and the guys will try to help you again . Good luck with your project

Jim
    Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 AM
    Registered

Originally Posted by cigboat1
    Dont be offended when these guys tell you some thing;The guys are just trying to help you and they are right on the money with the speed.As far as the gauges go there is a company in florida called Flounder Pounder Marine on the net that might be able to help with used gauges. Dont bother with the used kill switches buy new ones for about $20.00 each..
    You can also buy new stainless hinges for the hatches from a good marine store ...F.P. might also have them..
    A good upholstry guy can fashion new cushions and make a new bench seat for you.If you need any other info --- ask and the guys will try to help you again . Good luck with your project

Jim

I will check into that place thank you. I am not in need of used gauges I want to update mine. I want just curious if someone would ever be interested in used gauges or do ya just toss them. 60-65 sounds alot more reasonable. In the above thread a member stated I wouldnt want to spin my motors more than around 5200 RPMs, does that mean at WOT you wouldnt want your boat to go above that? THanks alot
    Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM
    Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Take it easy on the motors !!! Unless you have money for new motors or have money to burn ! You have no way of knowing what was done to the motors in the boat as to how they were taken care of or how they were rebuilt before you purchased it . Have a good time with the boat next season and get some hours on it before you decide to do something to the engines. STAY BELOW 5200!!

Jim
    Some one is always looking for stock used gauges . dont throw them out.
    Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
    Registered

Originally Posted by cigboat1
    Take it easy on the motors !!! Unless you have money for new motors or have money to burn ! You have no way of knowing what was done to the motors in the boat as to how they were taken care of or how they were rebuilt before you purchased it . Have a good time with the boat next season and get some hours on it before you decide to do something to the engines. STAY BELOW 5200!!

Jim
    Some one is always looking for stock used gauges . dont throw them out.
    As far as the gauges I will be sure to post on here when they are removed. I have a powersports business here in Erie PA. I got set up as a dealer with Livorsi today!!! So if anyone on here needs anything supplied by them I will definately pass on the savings the best I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.