Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Scarab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/)
-   -   Scarab in storage/Kemah-Clearlake Texas...thoughts? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab/255633-scarab-storage-kemah-clearlake-texas-thoughts.html)

JetJock 06-11-2011 04:03 PM

Scarab in storage/Kemah-Clearlake Texas...thoughts?

So if I put my 38KV in storage what is the thoughts on what you should do to the boat to preserve her? I imagine an oil change, fresh drive oil etc....a complete service/winterized service?

I am also looking for storage options in the Clear Lake/Kemah area as well as a suggestion on a good mechanic that can handle this.

Thanks!

cigboat1 06-13-2011 08:33 PM

Randy, You need to fog everything with oil after you have the boat winterized.... Then the boat needs to be stored in a controlled atmosphere away from from any sea /salt air.....
The boat should be completely covered to keep out dirt and dust as much as possible.
If your going to store for a long time you also need to think about the oiling system for the motors... your going to have to spend a few hundred dollars for each engine to have pressurized oil systems installed so that you dont have a dry start when you revive the engines --- very important !!
Even after all that you may still have problems with gaskets and seals ,you also need to check the transmissions :electric gauges may also give you some problems.
What ever you decide to do ----- do not do it Half-Fast !!\

Good luck

Jim

JetJock 06-13-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cigboat1 (Post 3428454)
Randy, You need to fog everything with oil after you have the boat winterized.... Then the boat needs to be stored in a controlled atmosphere away from from any sea /salt air.....
The boat should be completely covered to keep out dirt and dust as much as possible.
If your going to store for a long time you also need to think about the oiling system for the motors... your going to have to spend a few hundred dollars for each engine to have pressurized oil systems installed so that you dont have a dry start when you revive the engines --- very important !!
Even after all that you may still have problems with gaskets and seals ,you also need to check the transmissions :electric gauges may also give you some problems.
What ever you decide to do ----- do not do it Half-Fast !!\

Good luck

Jim

Jim, great advice.

I am going to hire a top notch mechanic to do the fog on both motors, all new oil,drives too.....my plan is to plan on (1) year storage in a fullly closed storage unit climate controlled.

I fully do not want to do it 1/2 azz! You are correct and thanks for the reminder/kick in the six!

MikeyFIN 06-14-2011 02:22 AM

You can fog the engines yourself too... I've always done that myself.. then I have also made a thin oil mix to spray over the engines outside so they don't corrode, electrical spray on all electrical. The Drive service could also be done yourself just change the oils and top or change the tranny fluids. FYI the Transmission fluid is also a great protector just brushed over on shafts and seals etc. I winterized a boat 1994 and relived it 2009 with no issues this way. Started almost right up after I first took of the plugs bumped the oil press up and clened the cylinders of all excess fluids .. also flushed the engine first with warm water so therefore wanted to be sure the exhaust didn.t leak water and had the sparkplugs off and cranked the engines. Then just fired it up with new gas poured straight in the float bowls not the intake.

Quinlan 06-14-2011 06:34 AM

Or you can bring it up to OK and park it next to MY Fino and she will feel right at home while you are gone.
Just a thought!