Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Long time lurker, first time poster... >

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Notices

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time lurker, first time poster...

Been lurking here for a while now (at least a year before I registered so I could look at the pics). I only lurk in the Scarab section and have pretty much read every thread in it. Reason why is that from all the boating brands I have looked at, researched, watched, etc etc, I think the Scarab is the best value for the money...I have also always been obsessed with them so that helps justify the love affair... Anyway, looking to finally get into one.... I have a Seadoo Sportster 1800 jet boat (which I may or may not keep), but I want something that can handle the rougher waters of the bays around here in North FL....been looking at 377's, 34' Scarab III's, and the 29' 90's models...Trying to stay under 20k (but if another deal comes along like that mid 90's 38ft that somone listed for 31k here I would have to round up the money)...Watched a 1998 29' with twins go for 18.6k, so thats what I am using as a benchmark... Would rather go with a 90's model then 80's because transom and stringer rot really freaks me out (even with the survey done) but if I found the right one that was updated I might be game to go older and bigger...don't fish, just want something to cruise around in (maybe tube and wakeboard) or bring some of the employees or patrons of some of the nightclubs I have....anyway, not really looking for any specific questions (since most of those were answered reading 30 threads on the 29's from single to twin debate, rough water handling debate, 7.6' beam vs. 8.6' beam, etc etc)...just maybe some thoughts here and there more about the current market of these things...oh yeah, ill be using cash...
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to OSO!!

Good luck with your boat hunt. I hope you find a nice Scarab!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Let me guess...........you work for TMobile?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Let me guess...........you work for TMobile?
like 10 years ago before I got back into the bar business...but I have kept the s/n for so long I use it for everything....
Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by tmobileguy
Been lurking here for a while now (at least a year before I registered so I could look at the pics). I only lurk in the Scarab section and have pretty much read every thread in it.
Welcome to OSO and happy searching.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1983 34' Scarab III , with fresh 600 hp. 565 cuin Chevys, too much to list totally re-done, rack stored since 1999, e-mail = [email protected], or PM me with yours and I can send pics, Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
I have a 1983 34' Scarab III , with fresh 600 hp. 565 cuin Chevys, too much to list totally re-done, rack stored since 1999, e-mail = [email protected], or PM me with yours and I can send pics, Dave
Looked at a 1986 34' Scarab III down here in P'cola but at 15k and it needing interior updates, new outside vinyl, and the gimbal housing to come out and be replaced....I passed....

However, I found a 1980 Scarab 377 with graphics redone, cabin and exterior vinyl also redone...319 hours on the boat...price was too good to pass up so I snatched up before a few other people could get to it...didnt get a survey but I did seatrial it and one of the motors (the newly rebuilt one) had a pinging to it...its looking like it a noisy lifter...anyway, for the price....I could sell of the parts and break even if the survey comes out terrible...I am having a survey done down here in FL because I need for the insurance...has twin 454's 370hp each with borg warner TRS outdrives...not the fastest thing but not a concern of mine...current owner is OFO member as well...
Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looked at a 1986 34' Scarab III down here in P'cola but at 15k and it needing interior updates, new outside vinyl, and the gimbal housing to come out and be replaced....I passed....

However, I found a 1980 Scarab 377 with graphics redone, cabin and exterior vinyl also redone...319 hours on the boat...price was too good to pass up so I snatched up before a few other people could get to it...didnt get a survey but I did seatrial it and one of the motors (the newly rebuilt one) had a pinging to it...its looking like it a noisy lifter...anyway, for the price....I could sell of the parts and break even if the survey comes out terrible...I am having a survey done down here in FL because I need for the insurance...has twin 454's 370hp each with borg warner TRS outdrives...not the fastest thing but not a concern of mine...current owner is OFO member as well...
congrats good luck with her, post some pics
Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Pics btw...

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Congrats, I have seen that boat around lately. It's been on the water all summer so that is always a good thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.