Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
New to forum, New to Boating, And soon to purchase new to me Scarab 1, Questions!! >

New to forum, New to Boating, And soon to purchase new to me Scarab 1, Questions!!

Notices

New to forum, New to Boating, And soon to purchase new to me Scarab 1, Questions!!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to forum, New to Boating, And soon to purchase new to me Scarab 1, Questions!!

Hey guys,

My name is Heath and I appreciate you all having me on your site. I am about to purchase my first boat, it is a 1986 Scarab 1. I love the boat, absolutely gorgeous lines and it has a lot to offer. The boat has a new 5.7L 350 Mercruiser carb motor backed by an Alpha One drive. The exhaust is Corsa and the owner before me also installed silent choice which I think is great! The interior has new upholstery, and the boat runs like a top. I had it inspected and the transom/stringers are in great shape thankfully. The boat does need some cosmetics, but nothing too bad. I have settled on a price of $6000 dollars on the boat. I think that is a good deal especially considering the new engine/upholstery/silent choice... What do you guys think? Also, I went for a test run out on lake lanier today here in Georgia and I noticed something about the boat. It doesent seem to plane up as quickly as I suspect it should. Like I said I am new to boats so this may be inacurate and I am just naive as to how quickly this boat should plane. Also I was told by the owner that he has pulled four skiers at once behind the boat so it seems as if its plaining well I just didnt feel it. Maybe he didnt really punch it? I was told the boat had a 21" pitch prop on it and that it would WOT rpm at 4000... This seems really low. I dont see myself pulling more than one person on a tube at a time or one skier. I prefer more speed out of the boat. The current owner said that the boat would do 40-45mph.. I would like to see something in the 50's to low 60's if possible just because im a speed junkie lol.. Would dropping to a 19 pitch prop put me there? a 17 pitch? Does dropping the pitch hurt the drive or the motor? I dont know where to look for more top end speed but I want the boats performance to match its bad ass sound when the pipes are wide open belting that beautiful v8 grunt.. Thanks for all replies in advance!!

Heath
Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Dropping pitch you are going to lose speed, 4000 is low I believe it should be closer to 4800. Without seeing for myself I can't tell you how it planes but I wouldn't want to push it too hard to quick with the alpha drive. It will last quite a while if treated properly behind that motor. Best of luck with it
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

so i would need to increase pitch? I honestly thought it was the opposite.. shows what i know lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Any other thoughts? Got some views guys please speak up!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was seeing in the mid to high 50's with my Scarab 1 at around 4700 to 4800 rpm's. It did have a mildly worked 350 with headers. 4000 rpm at wot does seem really low to me but I'm certainly no expert. Don't remember the pitch only that it was a 3 blade mirage.

That said I know my boat took a little time to plane out as well, in fact the PO has put a large whale tail on the outdrive to help, but all that did was slow me down so I took it off. I would check with the props. I know 4 blades will plane you faster but be slower than a 3 blade.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

4000 rpm is definately too low for that engine to be spinning. One of two things need attention. Either the engine in the boat isn't working properly or you have way too much blade on for that engine/boat combination. It sounds like you will need to drop down to at least a 17p mirage plus to get that engine into the happy range. I would be leary of running that boat hard only spinning up to 4000rpm. Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Going down in pitch does not mean you will lose speed. It depends on the whole setup. I'd borrow someones 19p and try that. You will never see low 60's with that motor. Enjoy what you have sir....till its time to upgrade.

(by the way...in your case...if you INCREASE pitch...YOU WILL GO SLOWER)

Last edited by tinman565; 08-05-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Registered

So I bought the boat!! Its all mine!! been a long two days of detailing it getting it ready for the weekend...I guess im going to start by dropping to a 19 pitch.. Actually, one thing I noticed is that when the previous owner took me for that test ride he never trimmed the drive up when he had the boat planed out.. I know that the boat will probably pull more RPM this way.. I know the damn thing will never see the 60's but I would like it to be at least in the mid to high 50's... I read an article that had a review of a fomula, scarab 1, a donzi, and another boat I think a sea ray all the same shape/style with 350 mercs and the Scarab 1's top speed was the second highest to only the sea ray at something like 58mph.. Now I know that this was when the boat was brand new and in perfect or near perfect condition but my boat has a brand new 350, brand new alpha one, transom and stringers not wet and dry rotted (had them inspected) so i would think that I would see in the low to mid 50's at least? Not overly concerned about it but the way the boat sounds with the corsa exhaust thats on it I feel like it should match in performance.. By the way one really cool thing the previous owner did is put silent choice on the boat as well..,
Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

Good for you !!! Glad to hear your enjoying it before you've even had it out. Your wound up like a kid on Pepsi and M&M's...lol. Have fun....and worry about the top speed later.