Redoing my Scarab dash.... >

Redoing my Scarab dash....

Notices

Redoing my Scarab dash....

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redoing my Scarab dash....

Redoing my dash since half the gauges either don't work or are unneccessary in my opinion ...boat is 31yrs old and so are the dash and gauges so any that are working are a testament to time...Already taken the before pics, just waiting on everything to be done to show the after pics...

List of what I am doing....
-having a custom made dash in white (replacing the black one) by using the old one as a template
- new Gaffrig gauges (maybe Livorsi?)
- garmin gps chartplotter
- new contura rocker switches to replace the old toggle ones
- new fuse block to replace the 'all over the place' wiring
- new trim tab indicators and drive and trim tab panel
- vinyl wrapping part of the dash area as well as the AC panel in the cabin and the air conditioning unit to match a more modern look
- new throttle levers to match the new look (and the old ones are really finnicky and odd the way they operate)

My few questions before the project begins....

With the new throttle levers, will they require new throttle cables as well?

As far as gauges, I am thinking about using GPS Speedo, 2 Tachs, 2 oil pressure, 2 water temp, 2 voltmeter, 2 drive trim indicators, 1 fuel level, and thats it....is there any other gauges that you think are absolutely necessary?? I dont need some of these crazy gauges like engine sync, fuel pressure for carb motors, oil temp, etc.... vacuum gauge is one I am on the fence about but I have lived this long without one, i just cant see it as a neccessity.... Any gauges you would feel bare with that i didnt list?

Thanks,

Last edited by tmobileguy; 08-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered

Oil temp is IMPORTANT sir.

I also think you should have water pressure.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tinman565

what will an oil temperature gauge tell you that a water temp wont? If your engine is overheating, the first thing that will rise out of control is your water temperature with your oil temp following behind...the only thing i can see using an oil temp gauge is for is if your water temp gauge were to fail your oil temp would let you know where you are at...my ferrari has an oil temp gauge but the purpose of it is to let you know when the oil temperatures reach normal operating temperature, it is safe to run the car hard (but not a good idea before that with such a high compression motor that runs 7400rpm)...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tinman565

I honestly dont know much about water pressure readings or dont know much about what information the water pressure gauge is going to relay....why do you think its important...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tmobileguy
I honestly dont know much about water pressure readings or dont know much about what information the water pressure gauge is going to relay....why do you think its important...
Too much water pressure and you can blow gaskets. Not enough could mean not enough flow. That's important. Oil temp and water temp are not the same. Fuel pressure is important. You already have the wiring and senders so just put all the gauges back in other than the sync.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

what will an oil temperature gauge tell you that a water temp wont?
It will tell you what the temp of your oil is. If you are creating more shear heat due to you losing a bearing or if you oil cooler is not adequate for stock of additional power. I believe it is one of the most important gauges in my dash. Water pressure gauge tellls me a lot about my cooling system and how the impeller is holding up.

2 oil temp, 2 oil pressure, 2 water pressure, 2 water temp, 1 volt, and fuel level
Never had drive or tab indicators or gauges. A sync gauge is your ear, you will know it when you hear it. And it is a beautiful sound!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

kk...going to add 2 water pressure and 2 oil temp gauges to that mix....what are you opinions on the vacuum gauge?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

kk...going to add 2 water pressure and 2 oil temp gauges to that mix....what are you opinions on the vacuum gauge?
Good for finding what power valve I am going to use. But after that I have never used one. I put my hour meters in my bilge to get clutter off of the dash.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
scarab
Gold Member

if your tabs and drives are going to be all in one you should not need the round drive trim ones as well
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2 tachs
2 oil psi
2 oil tmp
2 water pressure
2 water temp
2 volts
1 speedo
1 fuel

In my setup I ran out of room for fuel pressure so instead added 2 blinking LEDs that blink if fuel pressure drops below 3 lbs

In theory I didn't need the analog tachs as the datatach has tachs but I like the look of analog tachs and the layout!

With regards to oil temp, it has an it's own temperature range unrelated to water(especially in a closed cooling system like mine) my first oil cooler setup was not adequate size. I could run the boat all day at WOT and the water temp would never go above 190 but the oil temp would go through the roof!