Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Platinum Member Platinum Member befu's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1986 Formula 272 LS

89 wellcraft 27' midcabin?

OK, been looking for a boat in the 27 to 31' range and came across this add. 27' wellcraft, called out as not being a scarab, but a "27N". wow, it is a midcabin?!?! From wellcraft? Dashboard pics show the Nova III name there which would explain the "N".

So, did wellcraft make a mid-cabin open bow in the late 80's or is this a custom one?

http://www.brownsrvonline.com/pre_ow...sp?veh=1640454

Interesting......

Brian

My Boats:
    1986 Formula 272 LS
    I figure this must be a custom job as why whould wellcraft put the toilet right under the entrance to the bow section! Still, seems like a decent conversion. Wonder how strong it is? Never seen one like this that old, surprised no one else commented.

Brian

Stunned into silence

Registered Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    1990 38 Scarab Excel
    Back when I wore a younger mans clothes I looked into doing this to my 85. Think about it, if you built a strong frame around the opening it would be as strong as if it was a full cuddy. Now the weight would be a factor. If the nose was not built to hold that much hanging over.

My Boats:
    1986 Formula 272 LS
    I have thought about this same thing on a cheaper 80's formula 272.

Deck should be fine as you would build up the bulk head that is already there. Basically opening up the v berth. Would not have anyone ride up there at speed especially in rougher water, but would increase seating area for lounging around.

also wouldn't want to stuff it! but if you made it like a hard top convertible where the bow section could bolt back in....

I just thought this was a very interesting conversion.