ScarabIII X dim

Notices

ScarabIII X dim

Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default ScarabIII X dim

I re did the transom and stringers in my ScarabIII recently and thought I'd post up some basic results. Not sure what the factory placement was as far as the actual dimension but i raised mine two inches over stock and got fantastic results. Was originally spinning crappy 'ol 23 inch three blade Mirage props with a best of about 56/57 mph with stock 365 Mags. With the new X dim the three blades would not even try to get on plane (lol knew that was gonna happen) so i picked up a set of 24 inch B1's and the boat loves them. X dim was the only change i made as i put the motors back in unchanged. The boat runs about 59/60 now but the cruise speed at about four grand went up by about eight or ten mph. Tell ya somethin else though the boat feels entirely different now. It reacts very well to trim and is much easier to balance, i ran the boat this weekend in 1 to 3's and a little bit in maybe 3 to 4's and the boat handles rough water much much better with no need for tabs at all. If anyone out there is redoing there ScarabIII transom you might want to give some thought to jacking up the X. i will get the exact number and post it also mine is a Bravo boat. This winter she is getting a freshen up on the power and some 26 inch Hydromotives i have to try out (been told thats the prop for these things).

Incidentally i am approaching the end of the line for me with this boat, I will have gone completely through everything and will be looking to trade in on another project. My boat was a very well kept five hundred hour 88 with 365 Mags/Bravos. I have gone through it cosmetically/structurally and am going to tighten up the engines and drives this winter. It shows very well and has been a great boat in the four years i have had it. What i would like to do is trade in/up on a 38 Scarab excel needing TLC. Looking for an 88 or 89 needing power or glass work or whatever, early ninety's boat would be great to but projects of that year seem to be few and far between. Dont be shy even if you have a real basket case i can trade up or down for the right boat and can also come up with some cash to balance out a deal if need be. Just tossing this out there as long as i got a thread going, its been a great boat but its about time to move on
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, lets talk lol
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
I re did the transom and stringers in my ScarabIII recently and thought I'd post up some basic results. Not sure what the factory placement was as far as the actual dimension but i raised mine two inches over stock and got fantastic results. Was originally spinning crappy 'ol 23 inch three blade Mirage props with a best of about 56/57 mph with stock 365 Mags. With the new X dim the three blades would not even try to get on plane (lol knew that was gonna happen) so i picked up a set of 24 inch B1's and the boat loves them. X dim was the only change i made as i put the motors back in unchanged. The boat runs about 59/60 now but the cruise speed at about four grand went up by about eight or ten mph. Tell ya somethin else though the boat feels entirely different now. It reacts very well to trim and is much easier to balance, i ran the boat this weekend in 1 to 3's and a little bit in maybe 3 to 4's and the boat handles rough water much much better with no need for tabs at all. If anyone out there is redoing there ScarabIII transom you might want to give some thought to jacking up the X. i will get the exact number and post it also mine is a Bravo boat. This winter she is getting a freshen up on the power and some 26 inch Hydromotives i have to try out (been told thats the prop for these things).

Incidentally i am approaching the end of the line for me with this boat, I will have gone completely through everything and will be looking to trade in on another project. My boat was a very well kept five hundred hour 88 with 365 Mags/Bravos. I have gone through it cosmetically/structurally and am going to tighten up the engines and drives this winter. It shows very well and has been a great boat in the four years i have had it. What i would like to do is trade in/up on a 38 Scarab excel needing TLC. Looking for an 88 or 89 needing power or glass work or whatever, early ninety's boat would be great to but projects of that year seem to be few and far between. Dont be shy even if you have a real basket case i can trade up or down for the right boat and can also come up with some cash to balance out a deal if need be. Just tossing this out there as long as i got a thread going, its been a great boat but its about time to move on
Dave, were the stringers/transom going bad/looking bad before you did them? Mine surveyed well, so I like to keep up with it, lol. I like your results you got, that's cool. Hate to see you move on from it.

Take care!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Apathetic
Dave, were the stringers/transom going bad/looking bad before you did them? Mine surveyed well, so I like to keep up with it, lol. I like your results you got, that's cool. Hate to see you move on from it.

Take care!
Yes mine needed stringers and transom so while doing that I jacked the X. Way happy with those results although I suspect it has more to do with running a better prop now that I have the x dim to stomach it. Boat had mirage three blades which suck in most performance applications. I hate to see this boat go to but someone is gonna get a hellofa nice piece. All new stringers, transom and bulkheads totally 100% encapsulated and guaranteed no water will ever touch any wood in this boat. It's getting fresh power and interior this winter then it's time to swap it for another project, hoping to fing an eighty eight or eighty nine excel scarab to do next. This boat is part of a progression of trade ups that started with a sixteen I did years ago. Nothing but sweat equity and parts D:
Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Like this one Dave?
Attached Thumbnails ScarabIII X dim-1988-scarab-excel-34-port.jpg  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes mine needed stringers and transom so while doing that I jacked the X. Way happy with those results although I suspect it has more to do with running a better prop now that I have the x dim to stomach it. Boat had mirage three blades which suck in most performance applications. I hate to see this boat go to but someone is gonna get a hellofa nice piece. All new stringers, transom and bulkheads totally 100% encapsulated and guaranteed no water will ever touch any wood in this boat. It's getting fresh power and interior this winter then it's time to swap it for another project, hoping to fing an eighty eight or eighty nine excel scarab to do next. This boat is part of a progression of trade ups that started with a sixteen I did years ago. Nothing but sweat equity and parts D:
post pics...
Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Like this one Dave?
Yep that's the one Jack. I like them because they have the same hull as the flat deck but with a better cockpit and cabin.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
post pics...
This has been another great boat in my revolving fleet of projects looking forward to doing a 38 though. This was a nice on molested three hundred original hour boat when I got it several years ago. It was one hundred percent oem and pretty well kept. The guy I got it from hated it (more like was scared of larger boats) and didn't use it much. Traded my 260 Scorpion straight up for it, used it for the remainder of the season then started going through it little by little. I refer to this boat as my Winnebago for the water because it sleeps about six or eight people if need be.

Don't be shy if anyone has a project they wanna do some trading on. Top of the list is a late eighties 38 Scarab excel but I am willing to consider anything interesting. I can trade up or down and cash either way is ok to.
Attached Thumbnails ScarabIII X dim-2011-09-10_18-25-50_898.jpg   ScarabIII X dim-2011-09-10_18-26-57_968.jpg   ScarabIII X dim-2011-09-10_18-27-27_593.jpg  

ScarabIII X dim-2011-09-10_18-28-50_392.jpg  

Last edited by glassdave; 09-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold mine yesterday Bro....
Old 09-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
I sold mine yesterday Bro....
No way! That's great ( I guess lol) are you looking for anything else to stay on the water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.