Paint Vs Gel Coat ??? >

Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

Notices

Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

I have a 22 foot Scarab that I want add some flash this year ...the gel coat is ok but could be better and has some small cracks in the gel on the deck . I want to redo the boat and fix her up . I want a poker run boat appearance but in a smaller version .

When I admire all these poker run boats are they all gel coated or painted .

What is better ...can anybody give me some suggestions ??

I really enjoy the boat would like to fix her up !!

Thanks in advance !!!
Mopwr
Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

Or you could always do a vinyl wrap?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

I am looking for the same for my 22 scarab I just purchased a couple of months ago. The previous owner removed all the decals which left some fading in spots plus a few areas of good dock rash. I buffed out most of the decal shadowing, fixed the dock rash and now have a totally white boat.

I have been looking at the wraps because I know a guy, but they arent shiny (which I love a mirror finish and dont mind the work to get it) and feedback on the forums seems to be the scar easy.

I read a lot about paint but get confused on what can be used or not, above the water line or below??????

I have some small hair like cracks on my deck, nothing major but a few that when fixed I am sure will stick out so I have to put something over it.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Ya I am like you . I have been told if I cover the cracks they will show through the decal in time . I have some friends with the big poker run boats and going to look at one tonight that had some vinyl wrap . I have found that they are paint with clear coat in most cases . Might be going that route . Not to many get re-gelcoated . Will let you know my findings .

John
Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopwr
Ya I am like you . I have been told if I cover the cracks they will show through the decal in time . I have some friends with the big poker run boats and going to look at one tonight that had some vinyl wrap . I have found that they are paint with clear coat in most cases . Might be going that route . Not to many get re-gelcoated . Will let you know my findings .

John
Paint if you are redoing.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

So I assume there is actuall marine paint? I guess I assume from reading on here that regular auto paing can not be used below the water line.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered

ya there is a special marine paint !!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mopwr
ya there is a special marine paint !!
I painted my boat with DuPont Chroma One single stage. Glassdave has recommend using PPG Concept single stage line for 1 color paint jobs. A lot of boats are painted in Awlgrip and Imron and then cleared over. (these are automotive finishes) Remember the recommendations of using a paint is that they are not left in the water. The boats are trailered and pulled out within 3-5 days at the most.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pluguglyinhere
So I assume there is actuall marine paint? I guess I assume from reading on here that regular auto paing can not be used below the water line.
there are no paints of any real high performance quality that are suitable for below waterline. Awlgrip is about as good as you can get but i dont believe it can be left under water for extended periods. I use PPG's single stage Concept for solid color resprays and try to save the gelcoat below the hardchine at all cost. If you are not planing an overall color change preserve the gel on the running surface even if it means living with a few off color repairs. Trust me a painted running surface only looks good for a short time if you plan on using the boat. Custom paint wise you are good with any of the higher end automotive lines. PPG's DBC series with DCU-2021 clear or Duponts Chroma line to name a few. House of color is ok but i think its over marketed for what it is.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
try to save the gelcoat below the hardchine at all cost. If you are not planing an overall color change preserve the gel on the running surface
This is exactly what I did. I have gel on the bottom and paint on the top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.