Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Platinum Member Platinum Member airshares's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 38 Top Gun

NEED HELP removing back seat

Im wanting to remove the back seat on my 1997 Scarab 29. Does anyone know how to go about this? I looked under the engine hatch and didn't see any bolts or screws. The thing is in there pretty good. I want to take it out and have it recovered. Anybody done this project yet?
    Also the side panels. I assume I have to reach up thru the hull from those side plastic pockets installed but any help from someone whos done it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Registered
    My Boats:
    1995 29 Scarab
    I have a 29 as well, and own an upholstery shop, so I have had the entire interior of a 29 apart!
    There is an easy way and a hard way...... well even the easy way isn't that easy!
    You have to start by pulling the front bolsters out, then you can get access to ALL the through-bolts on the backsides of the gunnels. Unless you have really long arms to reach the frt bolts, you'll have to pull the bolsters. The through-bolts should be 10-32 with a 3/8" nut size. Once the gunnels are out, you can then pull the back seat.

I have tried to get the back seat out without doing the aforementioned, but since the hullsides taper narrower towards the back of the boat, you can't squeeze the backseat any farther backwards to get past the gunnels.

You may find the back seat woodwork kinda rotten. In that case, youll have to rebuild all of the woodwork and fibreglass it for reinforcement.

My shop can perform all this work, if you wanna ship it. I can send you some pics of finished 29 interiors that we have done

If you are handy (and flexible) , you should be able to do all this yourself

Cheers

My Boats:
    1999 38 Top Gun
    Please do send me some photos of the 29s you did. Also where is your shop? My email is vonjet@gmail.com
    Last edited by airshares; 12-13-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added email

My Boats:
    1999 38 Top Gun
    Well, I got the interior out today. Wow what a task!! Yes the rear seat bottom plywood was rotted and soaked as was some of the seat back. Well it's off to the interior shop for re-doing and some new wood. I'll try and post a picture when it's finished.

Registered
    My Boats:
    98 scarab 29
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    I have a 29 as well, and own an upholstery shop, so I have had the entire interior of a 29 apart!
    There is an easy way and a hard way...... well even the easy way isn't that easy!
    You have to start by pulling the front bolsters out, then you can get access to ALL the through-bolts on the backsides of the gunnels. Unless you have really long arms to reach the frt bolts, you'll have to pull the bolsters. The through-bolts should be 10-32 with a 3/8" nut size. Once the gunnels are out, you can then pull the back seat.

I have tried to get the back seat out without doing the aforementioned, but since the hullsides taper narrower towards the back of the boat, you can't squeeze the backseat any farther backwards to get past the gunnels.

You may find the back seat woodwork kinda rotten. In that case, youll have to rebuild all of the woodwork and fibreglass it for reinforcement.

My shop can perform all this work, if you wanna ship it. I can send you some pics of finished 29 interiors that we have done

If you are handy (and flexible) , you should be able to do all this yourself

Cheers
    I need the original seat for 98 29 scarab