Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL >

Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL

Notices

Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL

Old 06-20-2002, 01:42 AM
Scarab296

Unhappy Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL

Did anyone know that there are some pretty serious changes taking place at the Wellcraft factory in Sarasota-Bradenton FL?

Maybe I am the last person to find these things out but according to my sources, the entire Scarab line (closed bow variety that is - not the Scarab Sport Center Console Fishing Boats) go-fast operation is being taken away from Florida and moved to California. Evidently, about 100 employees at the plant have been let go due to sluggish sales in the boating industry and the changes being implemented. According to my contacts who work on the Scarab assembly line, they are only turning out about 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of Scarabs per month this year compared to years past. Furthermore, the entire cruiser line of Wellcrafts which include the Martinique are also being taken away from the Sarasota plant and moved elsewhere throughout the country, in accordance to the cost cutting measures being implemented by Genmar.

It is sad to see some hard working Wellcraft people lose their jobs in an attempt made by the company to compete in a tough industry. But if the company is going to survive in the long run, I suppose that is what has to happen. Being a Scarab owner, I will miss the relationships I cultivated with folks who worked in the Scarab plant and may no longer be there.

Does anyone else have similar information or know about these changes? Perhaps I was misinformed, but if not, what is your opinion? Is this a good thing for the Scarab line of boats? Do you think the move to California has anything to do with Larry Smith?

Old 06-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your info is correct from the sources I have.Hate to see it but Genmar is run by bean counters who have no passion for boating,only passion for profits. Not necessarily a bad thing,they have kept lots of brands going that would have disappered if not for their cash and good managment.Hate to see Scarab dissapear,don't know what kind of production capability Larry Smith has.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As a Scarab owner, I am concerned about the changes that are going on. If they move production to California for the Scarabs,
the production numbers will be lower and the price will go up.
They will probably operate like Cigarette, less volume, more custom work, and more expensive. I do hope that whatever they do, that they keep building scarabs!
Old 06-20-2002, 04:13 PM
jb
Registered

These kind of moves are never good. Usually the product suffers. I doubt you will see the move to a more custom boat because genmar will not operate scarab that way. I bet the quality will stay marginal and support will just sink to the ocean floor(do your best blub...blub...blub).
Too bad that one of the most recognizable names in performance boating is just hanging on with a future that looks bleak.
I hate it
Old 06-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Mike J

NO MAS EMAILS.
Left Team Scarab 3 years
ago.
All I know is "Theres a
number of options open"
Mike J.

Old 06-29-2002, 07:24 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. Working for a publicly traded company myself, I know the extreme pressure for profits and shareholder returns. It frequently brings short term line-of-site bean counting measures not always in the best interest of the company's long term goals.

Just some observations on my part, and very limited to what I see only in the mid-Atlantic area, Scarab needs to do some serious marketing and sales promotion. The dealers in the area unfortunately don't have a very good reputation, lots of bad "word of mouth" advertising has hurt them. I wonder if it's same around the country. If the dealer network isn't any good, moving the factory won't help. If they're only building 1/4 to 1/3 the boats this year, the question I have is why, and I don't have the answer. Wish I did!!

Observations continued........in the go-fast market, they haven't demonstrated market vision, product class leadership, or adapted to changes in consumer demands. Other up & coming manufacturers reinvent and tweak their lines. Where was Black Thunder 8 years ago? They're selling their 43's like candy here to all the guys who want SeaRay type cabins in a high performance boat. The move to the stepped hull was a me-too thing. The Team Scarab racing group was pretty much obliterated last decade and despite some success with the Citgo Scarab, you just don't see them as much as the other brands on the circuit. The image and mystique have faded.

They appear to have lost their way some 10+ years ago and never recovered. Unless other changes follow, simply moving the factory isn't going to help. Best thing that could happen is to see them invest in the brand now, or sell it off to someone who'll kick some ass and move them back up to the next level.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 07-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Mike J

Kelley: I have no idea
what is going on at Wellcraft but I can say
TEAM SCARAB was busy for
most of the time designing
testing and building the
SCARIB Line of Boats, I
can not post photos from
my WEBTV so I have sent
Michael some info to post.
As I Undestand Scarib is not part of the Wellcraft agreement.
Mike J.

Old 07-05-2002, 04:23 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 07-07-2002, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pic from Mike J
Attached Thumbnails Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL-scarib-me2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2002, 04:57 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pic 2
Attached Thumbnails Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL-scarib-me3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Big Changes to take place at Wellcraft Factory in Sarasota (Bradenton) FL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.