Top Speed >

Top Speed

Notices

Top Speed

Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to see 75mph, plan to pull the engine, spend a few thousand (or maybe alot more if you have to start from scratch if it doesn't have forged parts). Better heads, intake, msd, cam,carb, roller parts, etc. Then add $1500-$2000 for exhaust. Then you will have to run hi test all the time.

I would also suggest hydraulic steering by this time. So the moral of the story is be prepared to pay big bucks for speed. I'm not a motor guy, but I've been there done that. There are several of the best motor guys in the country on this site, so you can get some great advice when you're ready.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had '95 22' Scarab & my brother still has a '96. Both 454's. Both had 'hook" at transom. Both required all the trim (plus 2 bumps on the trailer button) to run decent. Tried a 4 blade Hydromtive cleaver, lots more bow lift so less trim needed.Sounds strange but worked. Stuck w/ 4 blade Mirage,more driver friendly. As billy boats stated, boats & cars different worlds. Boat engines are basically loaded like one on the "dyno". There aren't any gears to change lessen load on them. Because of this the rpm ranges are lessened. "X" dimension puts lower unit pretty deep,scrubbing off speed. I never got aronud to trrying a shortie drive. Anybody have input reguarding one on a 22' Scarab?