29... Fix-Part or Sell? >

29... Fix-Part or Sell?

Notices

29... Fix-Part or Sell?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29... Fix-Part or Sell?

I have a 1995 29 with a single 580 Hp 502/Xr combo.
Owned the boat since 2005 and have done a fair amount of work to it. Engine has one season or about 25 hours. New CMI's in 2011. Tomahawk switchable mufflers. Brand new XR drive in 2007. Brand new Interior upholstery in 2010. 2-12's, 6-6's Clarion system with two wired remotes and Sirius Radio. All Livorsi Monster gauges in 2006. New wheel and Livorsi sticks in 2011. Continental Aluminum trailer.

Here is the problem.... a few years back I suspected a soft stringer due to the engine mount sinking a bit. Didn't really want to think about the reality of it, but you know here I'm going with this! I little further inspection this spring and I found the transom to be rotten, and looks like both stringers. I drilled some test holes and found moisture as far forward as the engine room bulkhead So me thinks this means gutting the boat and splitting the deck and hull to do a total replacement of the stringers and transom.

So my choices are :
1) Sell the boat as is and report the problem to a potential buyer. Not good, as value will be extremely low IMHO
2) Part the boat, engine, trailer, drive, etc. Long time to recover the funds, but thinking I have over $20,000 in parts
3) Fix it myself for a $hit load of hours and medium amount of $$$
4) Have a reputable joint fix it for me.....No idea how much that should cost?

Your thoughts?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer all depends on how much of a handyman you are and how much you like your current boat.

For me personally, I would "Fix it myself for a $hit load of hours and medium amount of $$$".
Knowing in the end I would have a boat that was better and stronger than new, but I like my current boat.
But as you stated this takes a lot of time, effort and money.

If you have the money for #4 - the job will be completed that much sooner, but probably at twice the cost & then some.

I suggest you go get some quotes for repairs and the answer to your delemma will become clearer.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Registered

The other thing I would seriously consider is swapping boats to one you may have always wanted.

Sure you'll take a beating on the resale of your current boat, but if you can find the boat of your dreams less power and running gear, it's an ideal time to swap things over.
Boats often come up in this configuration at reasonable prices and you already own all the good gear to go on it!

Plus it's a good excuse to swap boats & you have a reason - makes it easier to convince the Mrs / GF !

Just make sure the replacement boat is in better shape than your current boat.

Last edited by 40gt; 05-31-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Having done something similar myself over the past couple of years...you would just have to decide what route works best for you.

I went the fix it myself route. And while my boat is now built like a brick sh1thouse, not sure if I would do it again or not. I probably would, but I would have limited the customizations I did and just put it back together how it was built originally, with a few improvements.

It all depends on how good of condition the rest of the boat is in. If the outside of the hull, and your vinyl are all in good shape, then I would probably fix it. You aren't going to get much for a rotten boat if you try to sell it anyhow.

I would say fix it, or as said above fine another boat your like that is stripped and swap your running gear over, then try to unload your bare hull.

Where are you located? I'm looking for my next project
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is just the stringer I would fix your self there is some products out there one being nidabond pourable resin/glass. But if the stringer is wet I would bet the transom is wet.and should be replaced as well. Either way you still should fix and if you like speed and a better ride if the transom needs to be replaced raise the xdimension 2-3 inches and it will ride much nicer, better cruise speed and top end. I had a 97 and it made a world of difference.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for the comments.
I decided to keep it and fix it myself. Someone on here had raised the X-dimension of a 29. I'd like to do that during the same process. Curious of how high to raise it?
Want as much top speed as possible, but don't want to sacrifice a crummy holeshot in the process. I'm thinking 2" higher should be safe?

Meanwhile, as I have foregone the issue of the fact this project will take a year, I purchased a boat to run for this season. 1988 Mirgae 217 Intruder.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Registered

Huge,
now you have the best of both worlds.
A boat to use & a project boat.
Good luck in your rebuild.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I raised the x dimension on my 29 scarab using a imco lower case but I had a friend with a 29 and he did it at the time of replacing transom. 2 inches should be ok I raised my current scarab panther where my drive shaft is 3 3/4 below bottom but with a -2 inch it will be 1 1/4 below the bottom.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

So....that 217 Mirage that I purchased. I went to town on her and it turned out fantastic! Been using it all summer and have it sold in October with a 50% down payment already!

I posted on NW Offshore if you would like to follow the rebuild
http://www.nwoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3765

So, now on to the 29 Scarab rebuild. I removed the engine and interior. Started work on gutting the transom. I plan on replacing all the wood in the transom and then dig into the stringers to see how far forward I need to go. I think I will start a new thread on this rebuild. Stay tuned!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hell pull the big block, change it to twin smallblock ls style motors with superchargers use the alum block engines and make the girl fly. yes sounds like alot of work to me too,