Input on 83 scarab III >

Input on 83 scarab III

Notices

Input on 83 scarab III

Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input on 83 scarab III

Hi I currently have a 98 scarab 29 with twin sb. Very nice boat. I've redone alot on it. This is our first season in a marina as a family. We sleep on it but it's hot and cramped. I found a pretty decent 83 scarab III I can get a steal on. My friends trying to talk me into making it more modern looking and using that boat. Has alit more room inside and has ac which is a huge deal with a daughter and pregnant wife. Is it worth putting money into a old boat like that?? Or just use the money and. Uh something newer. Are those older boats able to handle well and actually go fast with good engines or is all of it kinda a waste
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Scarab_Kaama
Platinum Member

If you like the style of the Scarab III and if it is in a real good condition I would think about to do the deal. I like the old Scarab’s very much, don’t make you thoughts about handling, they all do. I think that with some minor modifications (instrument panel, cabin door) you can add a nice touch of style. What’s about the engines and drives? Have a good look at the stringers!

Keep in mind that you have a pregnant wife! If she likes the boat and feels well on it, YOU have a lot more fun!

Regards, Gerhard
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gerhard_M
If you like the style of the Scarab III and if it is in a real good condition I would think about to do the deal. I like the old Scarab’s very much, don’t make you thoughts about handling, they all do. I think that with some minor modifications (instrument panel, cabin door) you can add a nice touch of style. What’s about the engines and drives? Have a good look at the stringers!

Keep in mind that you have a pregnant wife! If she likes the boat and feels well on it, YOU have a lot more fun!

Regards, Gerhard
I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle or just buy a newer boat. I don't wanna wind up having a ton into a old boat that isn't worth alot when I can just get a newer boat. I mean the boats nice honestly. It needs some stuff but all and all it's clean and all there and can be bought in the four diget area
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Keep 1 thing in mind when you think about buying that old boat----- it has TRS drives on it and they do not make them any more and if you have something go wrong with one you are going to have a problem finding a replacemant or parts to rebuild......I had an 84 Scarab III and it was in great shape but I sold it because of the possible drive problem ... Buy a newer boat or a larger one close to the same year you have now . Good luck and keep the wife happy !!!!!!!

Jim
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cigboat1
Keep 1 thing in mind when you think about buying that old boat----- it has TRS drives on it and they do not make them any more and if you have something go wrong with one you are going to have a problem finding a replacemant or parts to rebuild......I had an 84 Scarab III and it was in great shape but I sold it because of the possible drive problem ... Buy a newer boat or a larger one close to the same year you have now . Good luck and keep the wife happy !!!!!!!

Jim
trs drives are a dime a dozen, you can always find them used and inexpensive... constantly for sale in the swap shop.