1981 Scarab Info >

1981 Scarab Info

Notices

1981 Scarab Info

Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transom assemblies all ready gone,way to loose and not rebuild-able any ways, I'll be looking for a set of good used transom assemblies and transmissions and drives, engines not to concerned with as I already have one built just need to find a second and match it up.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Registered

Carmine,

Congratulations on your project. My Scarab is a `81 30` Type “S”, basically all stock as for a engine and drives. Engines are 454 – 330HP, (Round Port Heads – Casting #) with “Log” style exhaust manifolds. Drives are standard TRS models with Merctrans. From reading you post you said that you were definitely going back “Big Blocks” so if you are deciding on TRS drives then the only decision to make is what transmissions to go with. I would recommend going with the Borg Warner 72 models made for the TRS drives over the Merctrans. The Merctrans is a decent transmission and has the benefits of being (1) Much lighter then the Borg Warner, (2) Approx 9 inches shorter than the Borg Warner – A big benefit with how cramp the engine bay is for twin big block motors, (3) The bell housing is made on to the transmission – also a big drawback because there is no provision for a top mount starter like the readily available and inexpensive bell housings available for the Borg Warner, (4) oil cooler built into the transmission – also a drawback because the cooler is of limited size and oil capacity, the Borg Warner accepts an external oil coiler that can be different sizes or even mounted in the bell housing. Additional drawbacks include not being able to use rear “off shore” motor mounts because off the material required to be removed from the bell housing mounting face/flange to the back of the engine for proper starter depth into the bell housing for engagement to the flywheel. The Borg Warner unit built for the TRS out drive has 2 mounting bolts, (one on each side or the rear of the transmission) that bolt directly to the inner transom plate like the bravo drives, making alignment very easy when installing/lowering the engine/transmission in place. Another problem with the Merctrans in my opinion is that because the oil cooler is built into the transmission requires a small separate water line that comes off of the discharge side of the raw water pump, (many of the current rebuild pump housing kits no longer have this port) and runs to the inlet of the cooler and another small water line that is attached to the outlet of the cooler and runs to a port located on the elbow of the exhaust manifold for discharge into the exhaust on the old style log manifolds. Using headers or conventional center rise manifolds would require fabricating something for the discharge of the water from the outlet side of the cooler either into the exhaust or dumped overboard thru a “thru hull” fitting. I am currently in the process of gathering all the parts to change from the Merctrans to the Borg Warner set up with the Top Mount Dual Cooler Bell Housings. I my opinion it is better to buy a complete set up at one time then piecing each piece one or two at time. You should be able to find someone who is updating to Bravos and wanting to sell the complete setup, (Dual cooler bell housings w/coolers, Borg Warner transmissions, starters, inner transom plate, gimbals, outdrives w/nosecones, and hydraulic trim cylinders) from engine back, I recently purchased one from someone for $3,700.00 including 4 blade stainless props. One modification I would recommend that it done to the transom plate is to weld up the thru hub exhaust port. This way it stops any water from entering the inside of the transom plate and eventually rotting out and allowing water to leak in the bilge. I currently have this problem on my port drive. And will soon be removing everything to replace it. I hope this helps some and if you have any more questions just email.

Good Luck,
Cliff
Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Bravo Transom Assembly

The boat is at the shop and I'm finally home from a long business trip, now comes the million dollar question, do I continue on and go with the trs or swap to bravo's, see pics
Attached Thumbnails 1981 Scarab Info-img_0327.jpg   1981 Scarab Info-img_0331.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Spyder
The boat is at the shop and I'm finally home from a long business trip, now comes the million dollar question, do I continue on and go with the trs or swap to bravo's, see pics
Do you already have TRS's? Everyone keeps saying they are getting very hard to buy parts for but up to this point I haven't had any problems and you always see whole drives/parts drives being sold on the swap shop!

Looks like a fun project, that bilge looks like the condition that mine was in when I bought it, boy does that bring back memories! Would love to see other pics of the project!

Good luck!

Jim
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Pics

Here are some more pics of the boat as it sits at my shop now, lots of work to do and parts to gather.
Attached Thumbnails 1981 Scarab Info-img_0323.jpg   1981 Scarab Info-img_0324.jpg   1981 Scarab Info-img_0326.jpg  

1981 Scarab Info-img_0328.jpg   1981 Scarab Info-img_0322.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered

Default trs drives and gimbles

Greetings Gent,
Jim G here wishing you the best on your project, I had listed mine (30' scarab ) earlier this month in the swap section parts/project had no offers as a whole so I have begun to list parts, I have 2 nice clean redone trs drives, and 2 nice clean redone transom assys, that haven't been wet since 03, the drives are pictured on e bay right now (my seller name is 77 scarab) if you have any interest in these or any other scarab stuff let me know, my interior was like 2 years old when I began this project and is still nice (stored in house closets,) also have all the teak from inside and swim platform let me know Regards Jim 419433six nine eight three aft 6 pm.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Looks like a nice project!

My 85 21' scarab has bottom paint that looks identical to what you had... Whats with the angle thats on?

Also i see you removed the bottom paint from the sides and the lower of the transom. How did you go about doing it? Was it a major pain or not too bad? I dont mind putting some work into it. Just curious.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default On we trudge

Well maybe a little luck, found a complete set of TRS from the transmissions back to and including the drives,trim pumps,rams,controls. so that cures one problem, next thing is:
Does anyone have any pics of the rear seat set up, I have the wrap around section and the bottom but I believe there is a storage area that belongs under the bottom part of the seat.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Spyder
Well maybe a little luck, found a complete set of TRS from the transmissions back to and including the drives,trim pumps,rams,controls. so that cures one problem, next thing is:
Does anyone have any pics of the rear seat set up, I have the wrap around section and the bottom but I believe there is a storage area that belongs under the bottom part of the seat.
Mine was all rotted so I had to build a new one. I mounted my amps and my batteries under my back seat along with making a custom sub box in the middle section and spots for 6.5" speakers!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Rear Seat

Very nice, looks exactly like the one I had to build for my spyder. wish I had kept all of the templates I made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.