Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
30 ft scarab single engine instead of twin? >

30 ft scarab single engine instead of twin?

Notices

30 ft scarab single engine instead of twin?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 ft scarab single engine instead of twin?

Hi, just looking for some advice. I recently just picked up an 1981 30ft scarab. The boat has no power, but had twin big blocks with trs drives like many. I'm on a tight budget with the boat and would like to run a single big block setup instead of twins. I was thinking about a 454 with a supercharger, to get it up to around 500 hp instead of the factory 330 hp. My thoughts were that the boat would probably run close to the same as with two stock 454's even though id be around 130 hp less than the twins, but Id be shaving around 1000 lbs out of the stern of the boat and less drag?.. just looking for thoughts and maybe expected mph.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It doesn't work quite that simply with a big single. Also 500hp is doable with a well built 454 and blower, but a 502 or 540 is going to be a better option. The other issue is going to be the drive handling the power and torque. If you are re-glassing the transom for a single, you'll likely go to a bravo and they top out around the 500hp mark, the killer is how much those scarabs weigh. I think my advice and the other guys here, would be run the trs drives and stock big blocks. Less maintenance, and simpler set up. Those two things have big advantages on the water. Another unconventional option would be small blocks and alpha's. You would have to re-glass the transom but with an older scarab, chances are it'll need a new transom anyhow. The other nice part to Alpha's is a simple drilling of 2 addition holes and you can stick bravo's in there. sbc/alpha is a reall good budget combo and brings down the fuel cost a bit as well. Probably 6-8k to totally re-glass, re-rig, etc w/ sbc's and alpha's. You'll have that alone into a blown 502
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Thanks for your response, and the points you brought up were concerns of mine as well, i guess ill be putting twins back in it... just wanted some other insight on it!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Also was wondering if anyone knows what kind of mph to expect from a sbc setup vs bbc.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

I looked at one before I bought my Panther. It had twin 260 sbc's and it would run about 51mph non GPS so I figure 48mph.

I wouldn't do it when there is a ton of 330's out there.