Missing part? >

Missing part?

Notices

Missing part?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing part?

I bought an 1986 Scarab Panther intending to redo it over the next several months. While cleaning the boat I found what looks like a homemade plate between the hatches. The plate was screwed down from the top of the deck with 4 screws and when removed there is a factory cut hole underneath. Any idea what this would have been for? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

pixs?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Registered

Not sure if I can post them but I will take a few pics tomorrow and try. Thanks...
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

What size is the hole? Another hatch that was relocated removed? Center of deck?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe that was for the brass stripper pole option that year. Then again, could have been for a GPS antenna or original anchor/bow light. Just a wild guess, but back in the mid to late 80's when GPS technology was released, the original black and white screen LCD units required a monster antenna, somewhere along the size of stack of a dinner plates, mounted on a radar arch, or up on the deck for a full view of the horizon.

My 1990 had such an antenna mounted for a Humminbird Black and White original GPS. The hole looked factory, but it was dealer installed. Hideous thing, but it was cool at the time. I've since replaced it with today's mushroom type. My next GPS purchase however will most likely have a built in antenna, so I guess I'll eventually be installing a little plate like that.

The second thing it could be is an original anchor/running light pole. Both of my Scarab's had a plug up front where I'd install the anchor/running light pole. The problem with the 28 I owned was the brightness from that pole light reflecting off the entire bow deck was blinding, even though the light faced forward.

I could be completely wrong, but those are my first thoughts. I'm drawing a blank trying to think of any other options requiring a hole in the deck.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Thanks Keith,

The Anchor/Running Light socket is between the Fairing and the first Hatch. I can see that being an issue.

This hole is centered between the two hatches. Rectangle plate base with a 1" hole. Looks like it could have been a remote spotlight setup from the 80's but doesn't appear far enough forward and no wires hanging inside that I can find. Yes I am that old that I had one with that option.