On the hunt for a Miami Vice 38 KV >

On the hunt for a Miami Vice 38 KV

Notices

On the hunt for a Miami Vice 38 KV

Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
Trying to dig up pics of the one I looked at in NY. Maybe if someone sees it.......
Where in NY?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was in the Hudson river valley not far from the conn border. Can't remember the town.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Randy, your persistence will pay off. It would be helpful though if Wellcraft could give a definite answer on how many they did make.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by phughes69
Randy, your persistence will pay off. It would be helpful though if Wellcraft could give a definite answer on how many they did make.
I am pretty sure Wayne and I have the correct numbers. We both talked with several Wellcraft employee's and a few senior VP's.

.....what we know is about 35 Vice Editions were built. 6 boats were on loan (2 a year) for the Miami Vice TV show. so a total of 41 boats. (Wayne correct me if I have those numbers wrong?) the 100 number you hear a lot about is the TOTAL number of 38KV's built by Wellcraft (not VICE Edition boats)

so far we have located about 25 Vice Boats. The current Wellcraft company has ZERO interest in the boat or history--kinda sad when you think about it.

The Facebook page is growing (550+ members) and it has been fun trying to put all the info together in one place.

My wish is a company would buy the rights (Larry Smith) and produce a retro boat Miami Vice 38KV. I would place an order on the spot.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JetJock
I am pretty sure Wayne and I have the correct numbers. We both talked with several Wellcraft employee's and a few senior VP's.

.....what we know is about 35 Vice Editions were built. 6 boats were on loan (2 a year) for the Miami Vice TV show. so a total of 41 boats. (Wayne correct me if I have those numbers wrong?) the 100 number you hear a lot about is the TOTAL number of 38KV's built by Wellcraft (not VICE Edition boats)

so far we have located about 25 Vice Boats. The current Wellcraft company has ZERO interest in the boat or history--kinda sad when you think about it.

The Facebook page is growing (550+ members) and it has been fun trying to put all the info together in one place.

My wish is a company would buy the rights (Larry Smith) and produce a retro boat Miami Vice 38KV. I would place an order on the spot.
We've been very fortunate to have caught Bill Erickson's attention with our FB page. Bill was VP of marketing at Wellcraft, the man who put Wellcraft on Vice and dubbed by his peers as the Wellcraft historian. He's been extremely generous in sharing his knowledge and passion for the boats and his involvement with Vice.
Unfortunately the records are long gone and Wellcraft didn't like to share info so we may never know the exact numbers.
Bill said six boats from three model years were supplied for four seasons.
Don Johnson was given a loaner boat for each season and 33 - 35 Edition boats were built. The total for all KVs built was about 103.
Back in 2000 Mike J from Team Scarab told me he thought there was 42 or 43 total Vice boats, which ties in with Bill's numbers.
I was fortunate to meet Mike through ebay when he bought some Vice Scarab kits from me.
He made a call to Wellcraft that got me past the receptionist to Gordon Houser's secretary who was awaiting my call with the build sheet for my KV ready to send to me.
Wayne

Last edited by scarab kv; 02-03-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

The current Wellcraft company has ZERO interest in the boat or history--kinda sad when you think about it.
Your absolutely right Randy, very sad when you think that that show and boat is probably what got a lot of people into these types of boats. Wellcraft wont care until there something in it for them.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 16 Posts

....again shaking the tree for an 38KV's that may be hiding out in a barn or storage shed in Miami Vice colors!

any and all leads appreciated!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

....again shaking the tree for an 38KV's that may be hiding out in a barn or storage shed in Miami Vice colors!

Any and all leads appreciated!
Checked the Marina at Dania last week...seems that the KV was on an extended trip to the Bahamas...along with a few other boats. The weather down her has been outstanding this winter so quite a few people are taking time off and running over.

Kind of reminds me of that MV episode in Season 2 "Calderon's Demise"...it's only 50 miles and on a 3' or less day in that boat it only takes 45~50 minutes to zip across the 'Stream to Bimini.

I'll try to get back by there this week.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Checked the Marina at Dania last week...seems that the KV was on an extended trip to the Bahamas...along with a few other boats. The weather down her has been outstanding this winter so quite a few people are taking time off and running over.

Kind of reminds me of that MV episode in Season 2 "Calderon's Demise"...it's only 50 miles and on a 3' or less day in that boat it only takes 45~50 minutes to zip across the 'Stream to Bimini.

I'll try to get back by there this week.
Thanks for checking.
I leave in the AM for Miami. Will be there through Sunday.
Wayne
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab kv
Thanks for checking.
I leave in the AM for Miami. Will be there through Sunday.
Wayne
Send me a PM when you get in town. Diego9040...another guy from OSO and I are going to the show Friday... maybe we can hook up.

John

Last edited by sprink58; 02-11-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.