Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Brought home my first boat project yesterday! >

Brought home my first boat project yesterday!

Notices

Brought home my first boat project yesterday!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought home my first boat project yesterday!

Got a 1978 scarab 300. Or so I believe. I would basically like any and all information I can get on this thing to help speed things along.
I have built quite a few cars and trucks and decided it was time for a change. My dad has always had a boat of some kind; so when he sold his to help pay for leukemia treatments I knew I had to get one.
here's a few pictures to help

what do the red buttons do? I've never messed with twin engines really
plans are pretty basic, a complete interior overhaul (got the boards cut today waiting on sealant and carpet)
make a cuddy door out of 3/8 tinted acrylic
new switches, gauges etc.
tune up on the engines/dress up and degrease
re stain all the wood
reupholster everything
fix all the woopsies in the fiberglass
and paint!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red buttons look like dual kill switches: http://teaguecustommarine.com/media/...tch_button.jpg
The caps should look like this: http://teaguecustommarine.com/media/...ill_switch.jpg

Last edited by modvp; 09-27-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Michigan Boat. The wood in the cockpit wood have been teak from the factory. The rest of the cockpit should be gelcoat with nonskid on the floor. They never had glued in carpet. The windshield has been replaced. Looks like the engines have been replaced at one time. They would have been 330's. They didnt use the 7.4 designation back then and it would have been unusual to have closed cooling like yours. Great rough water boat, should run close to 60 if the motors are strong. Basically the same hull as a Panther so parts are easy to aquire.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by modvp
The red buttons look like dual kill switches:
The caps should look like this: http://teaguecustommarine.com/media/...ill_switch.jpg
So, its kind of like the pre DESS seadoo system with the pressure kill? would explain the engines firing then shutting back off if so...Will definitely pick up the caps!
the cockpit wood was too far gone on the deck unfortunately, so instead of getting new teak$$$ im going to put charcoal carpet in both the cabin floor and outside. taking measurements in the morning.
also need to order some epoxy the crack next to the cluster is worse than I thought. Looking for a cheap upholstery person in lower michigan to redo the bench seat, side trim, sink cover, and cuddy pads and ceiling (may just dye that)
the pile of front seats are just too far gone to re use unfortunately
Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

so, I was just shutting the garage and noticed a blemish in the paint. looked at it closer and it says Scarab Racing on the side at one time. is that something wellcraft put on?
The kill switches and lo pro windshield plus the bigger engines has me wondering, does this thing have an interesting past?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

those are standard 330 hp motors.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the kill switches may have been a factory option as my 84 has the same switches in the same exact spot. Above the switches is where the ignition keys would be but looks like they swapped the keys for ignition switches and push button starter buttons (I did the same upgrade and love it!)

Old 09-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fuel tank is under that big piece of plywood on the floor, I would give it a good inspection, if it's original it could be leaking!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by CMicheals
So, its kind of like the pre DESS seadoo system with the pressure kill? would explain the engines firing then shutting back off if so...Will definitely pick up the caps!
If it fires without the caps on then they are not hooked up. They are suppose to be inline with the purple ignition wire that goes to the ignition.
They have 3 wires Green, Black and White. They can be wired normally open or normally closed. And scarab racing is just something someone has put on it. I really like that all black boat, but that is going to be hotter than HE!!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

the paint is really blotchy on it, the interior paint is acceptable for now, I would like to fix the one sided custom racing stripe (see pic) and repaint the hull. so I am doing a little reading on what paint to use. Any recommendations? only a few days into this and see there's huge differences between the auto world and marine world!
Have my dad looking at seats for it right now.
he had to sell his boat last year due to leukemia treatments and he is really eager to get back out on the water.
-Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.