Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
80's scarab 30 s-type with kaama drives - are all engines mounted backwards? >

80's scarab 30 s-type with kaama drives - are all engines mounted backwards?

Notices

80's scarab 30 s-type with kaama drives - are all engines mounted backwards?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

502ss, don't know how far you are along in the installation/actual rigging, but I have a 33 Sutphen with Kaama drives that you can come climb all over take pictures of, measurements or what ever once this snow disappears. It's in MA just down Rt.93 from you. As you are probably figuring out, your engines need to be mounted very low in the boat. Clearance from oil pan to under the engine hull support stringer is about 1/2 inch on mine. From the rear of the trans to the transom assembly is an "H" style u-joint with a flange to flange at each end. The flange on the transom assembly is splined giving it front to rear slip positioning. On the transmission side it is flat to flat bolted. The twin disc 502 is a drop style trans. and the harder alignment angle is" there" being the "most angled" out of the two. It is close to near "neutral" alignment from the rear "H" joint to the transom assembly. Hope this helps, PM me your # if you want to chat.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMASCARAB
The S type Scarab you have pics of with the red trannys and V drives is for sale on Facebook and has Arneson drives. The ad says Kaama, but it has Arnesons. I re-rigged my 77 Scarab 300 for Kaama drives from TRS. I had to remove the front engine compartment bulkhead and rebuild it flush with the hatch opening. The bulkhead, transom and engine stringers were rotted anyways, so I cut it all out and cored everything with Nidacore- no wood. I moved the bulkhead forward 8" and cut 8" out of the fuel tank (tons of work).
Yeah I did notice that after seeing some people saying in the comments that the drives are arneson. I am so used to seeing arnesons with the drop box it never dawned on me. It's still a weird setup! Anyway CDShack has been providing a ton of pictures because I have been laying out the whole re-rig on CAD and no matter what I do I can't get the motors to fit in the bilge. It turns out it is due to that bulkhead you mentioned! Looks like I will need to do some more engineering!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I'CE
502ss, don't know how far you are along in the installation/actual rigging, but I have a 33 Sutphen with Kaama drives that you can come climb all over take pictures of, measurements or what ever once this snow disappears. It's in MA just down Rt.93 from you. As you are probably figuring out, your engines need to be mounted very low in the boat. Clearance from oil pan to under the engine hull support stringer is about 1/2 inch on mine. From the rear of the trans to the transom assembly is an "H" style u-joint with a flange to flange at each end. The flange on the transom assembly is splined giving it front to rear slip positioning. On the transmission side it is flat to flat bolted. The twin disc 502 is a drop style trans. and the harder alignment angle is" there" being the "most angled" out of the two. It is close to near "neutral" alignment from the rear "H" joint to the transom assembly. Hope this helps, PM me your # if you want to chat.
I would love to stop by sometime and take a look at your setup. I work in Boston everyday so maybe when the 12' of snow we have decides to melt we can setup a get together! Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

...Jim
Old 02-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Jim, if you only have 12 inches your lucky. My building's roof at work was over 40 inches just a few weeks ago. I'll PM you my #.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I'CE
Jim, if you only have 12 inches your lucky. My building's roof at work was over 40 inches just a few weeks ago. I'll PM you my #.
I wish! I said 12' which is feet. I of course don't have that much but this is the snow bank in front of the boat!

Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Yeah I did notice that after seeing some people saying in the comments that the drives are arneson. I am so used to seeing arnesons with the drop box it never dawned on me. It's still a weird setup! Anyway CDShack has been providing a ton of pictures because I have been laying out the whole re-rig on CAD and no matter what I do I can't get the motors to fit in the bilge. It turns out it is due to that bulkhead you mentioned! Looks like I will need to do some more engineering!
Here is to the "Why's" on that setup..

Those are in line model Arnesons. They have no Reduction, Rotation nor Drop built into them, (our drop box models have those features) so in order to use them with a petrol engine, you have to provide those features internally.

In order to do this, one can use a TD 502, or a ZF85A and push the engines forward in the boat.. Or one can merely turn the engines around, protecting the cg, and use a V Drive. Since the V Drives don't shift, they piggy back them to a Velvet Drive. Now how they are handling the rotation??? A Velvet drive is not 1:1 in reverse nor do they have as many clutches on the reverse side so one cannot merely run one in F and one in R and get the rotation. The V Drives I've seen only come in one rotation. The diesel ones have a marine gear that handles the rotation before the V but I don't know what exactly is in this boat to make a 100% certain comment.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I have a couple of those v drive units at the shop, a couple with a chain and a couple with gear sets. They can be setup to reverse the rotation, but again the parts are rare, and the ratios are usually spec'd for big cruisers and such.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how strong the V drive setup is in a offshore boat, with getting air and throttling. That long driveshaft better be good!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Registered

I wonder how strong the V drive setup is in a offshore boat, with getting air and throttling. That long driveshaft better be good!
Not a setup I would be interested in!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

All the speed master boats have a drive line in them so why would it matter because it's connected to a vdrive? It doesn't know what it's attached to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.