1st boat need advice on purchase 1988 scarab 28ft >

1st boat need advice on purchase 1988 scarab 28ft

Notices

1st boat need advice on purchase 1988 scarab 28ft

Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st boat need advice on purchase 1988 scarab 28ft

Hello forum! I'm Tommy I'm from Orange County Ny. I'm getting into this hobby for the 1st time. I'm very close to a purchase and just wanted some input as I know nothing about boats. I have a lot of knowledge on cars but I do not do my own work.

The boat that I'm looking at is a 1988 28ft scarab with a 496 and bravo 1 drive. I'm worried about just buying a lemon. Is there anything I can do to inspect this boat my self? Things to look out for? The guy claims the motor was rebuilt with only 8 hours on it. It looks ok from the pictures. I'm going hear it run before I buy it. But I just don't know what the hell I'm getting into. I just spoke to a boat broker by phone and he said I have to worry about rotted wood. Anything I could do to inspect that? I'm going to be using this boat on the Hudson in Newburgh Ny area. Speed is not what I'm after. I'm more after the look and a loud v8.

He is firm at 11,500

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

if you do not know where to start, hire a reputable surveyor. Wellcraft scarabs are good boats BUT, as was mentioned to you have a reputation for wet/rotted transoms and stringers. pretty much ANY older boat runs this risk, If its bad it could easily cost you haf of what you paid for the boat to get fixed.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find something more recent for a few dollars more...
Old 03-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Phragle and Msher are both right on the money with those answers .Doesn't matter what boat you look at spend the dollars to get the boat surveyed before you lay down the big money and for a few thousand more you can pick a twin 30 or possibly a 31 ...Take your time and don't buy the first thing you see and take someone who knows boats with you when you look.Good luck Jim

Good example is on offshore only :1994 29 scarab with twin 350,s rebuilt ,reworked and reupholstered. the guy is asking 17500,take a look and make him an offer ---- Much better buy !!offer him 15000 and he would probably take it.....fore four thousand more you have a much better boat

Last edited by cigboat1; 03-12-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

For a first time boat owner a 27 or 28 would be perfect to start with. Its not to big where u will be over welled with the size and will be big enough to handle the river and even the lake if you go. A survey is the best way to go but if u want to do it your self take a hammer and tap around on the wood on the transom and stringers u will be Abel to here the difference between good and bad wood. U can always get better for more money but like u told my brother for your first boat spend what you wont get mad about. If you get some dock rash learning or bump something and chip the jel u and be like oops but the more you spend then it turns into omg with the f just happened lol. Buy cheep save and learn then in three years sell and move up. By then you might be looking to go bigger anyways.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

hello,,,as everyone has mentioned ..GET A GOOD SURVEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
also......just cause the moisture is only 15 percent...which is good....it could all be dry rotted inside,,,as mine was or is.....
u can do the sounding test,,,but must have a ear for what u are listening for.....

i will be doing a posting...following the process of replacing my transom and main stringer.
as mentioned by others...good stringer wood is going to give u a solid ring....rotted or wet is going to be a dull sound..
sort of hard to desribe the sounds.....
good luck......
a good surveyor could save u thousands,,,ask me i know