flush help >

flush help

Notices

flush help

Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush help

I recently bought a 38 avs scarab with a fresh water flush on the side of the boat, two green levers in the engine compartment i assume switchs between which engine gets the water. my question is can i run the boat off this in the driveway etc, i cant seem to see any other wat to get water to the motors, ran it for 2 minutes like this last night and did not get any water out of the exhaust.. the wife said plenty of water was coming out of the back of the boat but i wasnt back there to see where

thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Yes you can run the boat like that. Does the boat have Captains Call/switchable exhaust? Was it coming out the drive exhaust, if so?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

it does not have captions call and the water was not coming out of the exhaust, i did not run the boat very long, i did not want to damage the impellers, i will run it tonight for a few minutes,
thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It should not take two minutes to get water out of the exhaust. Are you certain you had the levers correct for each engine? You only want to run one engine at a time, definitely not both.

Have the wife start the boat, and you keep an eye on where the water is coming from. You may have already done damage to the impellers. Are you sure all of the drain plugs are in the motors? Does the boat have 496s by chance?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Registered

500hp blue motors, i dont think that i let it run longer than 45 sec to a minute, i plan on changing both impellers also, no water coming out of the motors into the bildge area, only running one motor at a time
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Some manufacturers installed a check-ball type T-fitting into the flush system as well. The check-balls can gum up with debris, and inhibit water flow. This likely isn't your problem, but you may want to eyeball your plumbing as well.

I'd replace impellers before you do anything else. The last thing you want to do is force broken impeller parts through the motor.