29 scarab

Notices

29 scarab

Old 05-05-2015, 04:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 29 scarab

curious as to what the thoughts are on the 29 scarab with twin small blocks?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just got mine and used it this weekend for the first run and I'm thrilled with it. Nicely balanced, easy on plane, 5 people aboard and cruised wonderfully well. Stayed on plane down to 2700 rpms, topped out at 4900 and around 68mph...350 mag mpi's, bravos, 23 mirage plus, kplanes! I had a Formula 292 with Scorpions before it and other than 10 mph and a payment, I feel I've lost nothing going to the 29 Scarab!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

its all in what you want,,, It's not the fastest and not the slowest
I like mine a lot, get many compliments on it. I've learned a lot of things about this boat and learning more.
I believe I have many answers to some questions you might have, not because I'm that smart but because I've had multiple unfortunate experiences. Only mad about one. We need more 29 Scarab posting experiences.
Originally Posted by JRalston
curious as to what the thoughts are on the 29 scarab with twin small blocks?
Old 05-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Registered

Pondrunner,,,where do you think extra 10mph came from on the
Originally Posted by pondrunner
Well, I just got mine and used it this weekend for the first run and I'm thrilled with it. Nicely balanced, easy on plane, 5 people aboard and cruised wonderfully well. Stayed on plane down to 2700 rpms, topped out at 4900 and around 68mph...350 mag mpi's, bravos, 23 mirage plus, kplanes! I had a Formula 292 with Scorpions before it and other than 10 mph and a payment, I feel I've lost nothing going to the 29 Scarab!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Registered

Do you know what Scorpion motors are? They are 377 Horsepower small blocks...with the stepped hull, thats where 10 mph came from. I was quite suprised at how close in handling and the performance felt comparing the two, the Scarab gives up nothing to the Formula except the speed and some finer finish. I don't miss the payments though!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems you can get some pretty good deals on them. I'm curious as to what the cons are. I am between these and the 28 donzi ZX which I know is a stepped hull and should be a little faster
Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Registered

I will second 01Scarab29 I love mine with twin small blocks I use in the local lakes and rivers, but have also used it in the Gulf.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Registered

I do know the 377. I ask because I don't know the other boat, type of hull, prop shaft center-line. I know my Scarab has a propshaft 7 3/8" deep. My engines are 383's now dyno at 400hp. Has increased speed from 68 to 73 with 23 mirage+.... I'm interested in putting -3 Imco's. just trying to find more people interested in small details and the results.....
Originally Posted by pondrunner
Do you know what Scorpion motors are? They are 377 Horsepower small blocks...with the stepped hull, thats where 10 mph came from. I was quite suprised at how close in handling and the performance felt comparing the two, the Scarab gives up nothing to the Formula except the speed and some finer finish. I don't miss the payments though!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Registered

I think you have a good setup going but you need higher pitch props/I run 23+ now with only the 350 Mags...25 Mirage+ should get you 2mph and put you real close to the predicted 76!...the Formula has a twin step hull, 700 pounds heavier, drive ratios at 1.65 which allows it to spin 30" bravo props, and has a raised x-dimension compared to the Scarab design. I hit 80mph gps with this setup. I've heard of -2"Imcos on the Scarab 29 but not -3". Maybe too much, but it is known that this hull responds well to raised x-dimension. Doing the calculations, you do seem to be loosing speed somewhere(props I'll bet), 800HP should get you 76mph in this hull according to the numbers...raising the drives may push you past it. Your Scarab is beautiful, it was the graphics and year I wanted, but had to settle on the pricing of the '97 racing flag graphics instead. I'll get some gps data from my run this weekend to give you some comparison numbers. If you do go with shorties, post your results...that's how the rest of us learn what can be done! I've considered the shorties myself for a later upgrade.

Last edited by pondrunner; 05-07-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

01scarab - I would say go for the -3 shorties. You can always add spacers to those to tune it to. I would think a -3 or -2 would get you faster speeds. The P29 bottom was redesigned and I have heard rumors that the last few production (white) 29's also had the larry smith redesigned bottom but this I dont know for a fact. Team Archer might be able to chime in on this. If it is true the more you can take off the better. The black hawk drive is 8" shorter than the bravo. A minus 3 stellings 12" extension box with -3 shorties would be the closest you could get the props to the surface of the water. I would say go for it if you have the extra scratch to throw around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.