Scarab 31' Thunder? >

Scarab 31' Thunder?

Notices

Scarab 31' Thunder?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scarab 31' Thunder?

Trying to find out the production run (what years) and how many scarab 31' thunder's were produced?

Not a lot of info, also looking for archives, maybe old brochures???
Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I will see what I have in brochures. Starting around 1990 thunder included Kevlar reinforced composite laminate and following transom serial number or under it would be letters CAL (composite alloy laminate) then later starting calling all scarabs thunders till lawsuit I think by active thunder stopped them from using thunder. Just like in the 80s people thought 38 KV stood for Kevlar. It actually stood for Kaama Version and if Kevlar would state so under serial number. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 90viper
I will see what I have in brochures. Starting around 1990 thunder included Kevlar reinforced composite laminate and following transom serial number or under it would be letters CAL (composite alloy laminate) then later starting calling all scarabs thunders till lawsuit I think by active thunder stopped them from using thunder. Just like in the 80s people thought 38 KV stood for Kevlar. It actually stood for Kaama Version and if Kevlar would state so under serial number. Hope this helps.
I was told my 94' scarab thunder was Kevlar, from what I was told all
Thunders were supposedly Kevlar. After my hull I.D. Mine says 31SC
Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They did not make a ton of Kevlar 31's. I had one and it was a school boat and from what I understand there were only 5 kevlars made in 96
Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by indysupra
They did not make a ton of Kevlar 31's. I had one and it was a school boat and from what I understand there were only 5 kevlars made in 96
From what I am told by people on the scarab forums is there was a distinct difference in the 31' and the 31' thunder.

A lot of the 31's didn't have the thunder package which included the Kevlar composite layup, rear bench race bolsters, low profile tinted windscreen and single center bow rail. The thunder package also had 31' thunder embroidered into the upholstery.

Standard 31' without the Kevlar hull had the standard taller framed windshield and dual bow rails that ran along the outside of the bow. I don't know how accurate that info is, but I do know there are not many of the 31' Thunders around so I would love to know the actual production numbers especially at the end of there production run when their were a lot more of the scarab 31' and 31' Excel made that people claim to be thunders.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by G-NOTE
From what I am told by people on the scarab forums is there was a distinct difference in the 31' and the 31' thunder.

A lot of the 31's didn't have the thunder package which included the Kevlar composite layup, rear bench race bolsters, low profile tinted windscreen and single center bow rail. The thunder package also had 31' thunder embroidered into the upholstery.

Standard 31' without the Kevlar hull had the standard taller framed windshield and dual bow rails that ran along the outside of the bow. I don't know how accurate that info is, but I do know there are not many of the 31' Thunders around so I would love to know the actual production numbers especially at the end of there production run when their were a lot more of the scarab 31' and 31' Excel made that people claim to be thunders.
That is a good question, you have me curious now. I am the 3rd owner of mine since 08 and have all the original documentation from the first owner in 96. Give me a couple days and I will see what I can come up with and I will share. Mine is the Stix version paint has two bow rails, 2 rear swim deck side rails and low profile tinted windscreen. However no hydro steering, embroidered Thunder seats or 3 man rear bolster. From what I remember the options were all hand picked by the original owner or at least mine did. The man who would really know is Dan Macnamara who worked with Larry originally and still does. Dont know if he is on this forum or not.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Registered

Dan would be a great resource but Donny Wadick now at Yellow Fin started with Excalibur and came over when Wellcraft acquired it in 1984. He was directly involved with high performance production and testing everyday. I have early 90s brochures. Will try to post tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 373 Likes on 139 Posts

Donny is who you want to talk with about production Wellcraft boats I have more history with the Larry Smith Race boats and such. Regards Dan
Old 08-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Registered

Question

I sure would like to know for sure!

I looked at rear numbers of a 1996 Scarab 31' that was for sale in Dallas. The boat didn't say thunder on it anywhere. I asked the owner if it was a thunder and he said "No", but the hull looked the same as mine. It however had different windshield, bow rails, side vents, cleats, and gauges.

It had the typical WEL hid# and after the number it had only number 31 stamped, my boat has WEL hid# and "31SC" stamped, does that stand for SCARAB COMPOSITE???

Mine has thunder around the gauges and embroidered into the seats.

Last edited by G-NOTE; 08-10-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Registered

That is a good question. I know mine is composite and it also has 31sc. It is difficult to tell unless you remove a thru hull like a bilge dump or fuel tank vent and see it. If you can access the inside of your hull sides that are bare you can see the foam square outlines. I am traveling to buffalo poker run and have photo on office computer. Try to post photo later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.