Older scarabs? History?

Notices

Older scarabs? History?

Old 03-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older scarabs? History?

** reposted here - it got buried on the G.D. forum **

Being a relative young'un, I don't know much of the history of offshore racing and production boats. I know that Wellcraft builds or built the Scarab line of offshore boats, but I keep hearing about "Larry Smith" who was somehow involved. Who is this guy and what's the story there?

Further, I've seen some older - mid-80's or so - Scarabs that look an awful lot like a Cigarette. Flat Transoms, flat deck, windscreen, etc. Some are even advertised as having kevlar layup. What's the story on these boats? Were they well made? How do they compare to a similar vintage Formula or Cigarette in terms of build quality and performance?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Registered

Hey Mike! Got your PM and I replied. BTW, my boat has been at LOTO for all it's life as far as I have been told and heard.

I can answer a few of your questions...
Larry Smith was the designer of the Scarab line. He built some under his own name that were more custom than the production line of Wellcraft.
It is true that they somewhat resemble the flatdeck Cigs. People have asked me if mine is a Cig more than once. I think it was just the style back then with the long flat decks. Many 38 are conmstructed out of kevlar including my own. Saves weight and is very strong. I don't think mine could have survived this long had it been fiberglass.

I haven't driven or ridden in many other large offshore boats except an older 357SR-1 that was in great shape. I would't hesitate taking mine out in the ocean. it is still a very solid boat and with some big power could easily run with newer stepped hulls because I also have a pretty light lay-up.

Hope I helped some... talk to you soon!

Justin
Old 03-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The big old Scarabs are fantastic boats!
What Justin just said: Steady as a rock.
I ran mine in 10 ft seas last summer, and my only
problem was that I liked it so much I couldn't stop.

My boat is from 1982 and it is the light weight edition
with kevlar hull, notched transom and blower hatches.
It is totally restored exept for the dash
which I'm working on right now.

These big old Scarabs are kind of uniqe today,
so I hope the owners takes good care of their boats.

Jonas.
Attached Thumbnails Older scarabs?  History?-dsc00009_fixed-1-.jpg  
Old 03-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another.
Attached Thumbnails Older scarabs?  History?-dsc00027_fixed-1-.jpg  
Old 03-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Last one.
Attached Thumbnails Older scarabs?  History?-dsc00002.jpg  
Old 03-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's my 38 Larry Smith Scarab. Not touched by Wellcraft. It was made entirely by Larry's team here in So Cal in 1989 and then rigged at TNT in Florida in the early 90's. It is Kevlar and VERY light layup. I like the old school looks. Many people confuse it for an Apache since there are so few of these made.
Attached Thumbnails Older scarabs?  History?-scarab-without-side-clutter-email.jpg  
Old 03-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Registered

38KV and Jody165---
Lookin' great!!! Real good!
I agree these boats are getting more and more unigue these days, especially in your neck of the woods Jonas. BTW, I won't be able to make up to Sweden this year because I am returning to the States tomorrow!!! I am SO excited, but I hope the invitation still stands when i return next year!!! I would LOVE to see peoples faces in Europe when you cruise by in a boat of this caliber. I still haven't seen anything like it out here.

Jody165--- Your boat really does resemble an Apache. I remember seeing the tread awhile back when you got that rig. I think I am in love with it. Does it have a cabin, what is the cockpit setup in that? Six man bolster? That would be Awesome. Let me know if you ever think abut selling. Is it staggered. I am assuming it is with your avatar. Any plans for graffics? All white still looks great. Enjoy
Old 03-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Obnoxus21, thanks, Scarab is staggered (avatar), no cabin, six pack cockpit. I think I will keep it all white, it's stealthy. Engines are 705 ci all aluminum Donovan's.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Justin,
I hope you had a great time in Holland. You are of course always very welcome if you decide to visit here.
May be I'll take a short trip to the states later on, try to to find some headers. In that case, I hope I can stop by and say hello, you do live in Kansas, right?

Back to Scarab history.
jody165, your boat is REAL piece of Scarab history, looks fantastic. I assume it is made from a different mold compared to the regular KV's like mine, but I think the hull looks very similar.(just curious)

BTW, I found this. http://honkercutmarine.com/theme/4/i...=667&parent=0#
Old 03-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

38KV, I know a little about that boat at Honker Cut. I considered it for awhile. It has side by side engine configuration and is in good shape. I didn't buy it because I thought they wanted too much ($50k less engines) and I wasn't interested in Arnesons on a non-step V-bottom. Maybe they are more flexible on the price now. I heard it ran real well with big power and the Arnesons.

Here's a pic of my engines. Let me know if anyone wants to see more. I love this boat.
Attached Thumbnails Older scarabs?  History?-aluminum-engines-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Older scarabs? History?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.