´95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig >

´95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig

Notices

´95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig

Old 12-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ´95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig

Welche Verbesserungen sind für 2005 geplant??? - Wann wird mit der Auswinterung begonnen??? - Wird das Teil irgendwann schneller sein als unsere Formula???

lg, einer der an diesem Projekt maßgeblich beteiligt war :-)
Old 12-18-2004, 07:44 AM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

Default Re: ´95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig

What?????????????
Old 12-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by typhoon09
Welche Verbesserungen sind für 2005 geplant??? - Wann wird mit der Auswinterung begonnen??? - Wird das Teil irgendwann schneller sein als unsere Formula???

lg, einer der an diesem Projekt maßgeblich beteiligt war :-)
Well AltaVista's "BabelFish" Translator says.....

"Which improvements are planned for 2005??? - one begins when with the Auswinterung??? - the part will sometime be faster than our Formula??? lg, one in this project was considerably involved"

Still leaves a bit not understood, but the message was not for me...

E.S.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Updates? Doug
Old 04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered

This weekend I started replacing my floor in my 98 22' I was using this thread as a guidance but whoa. Mine has a VERY VERY different stringer layout under the floor. I looked for that cross-brace that Peter showed was stapled in but it does not exist on mine. Mine has 2 very wide inner stringers running the full length and what appears to be the same outer stringers as his has. Also my floor came out in 2 sections (front & rear) that were joined not unlike a jigsaw puzzle in the middle. The floor had 2 aluminum plates that were fitted in a recess under the floor that the seats mounted to. (gonna need a router for this one) It also had an aluminum cross-member that held the tank in place that mounted to the inner stringers. I can't see the inner stringers through the reddish brown fiberglass but they are 4 inches thick including the glass. I popped the rear deck plate that opens to the engine mounts and putting one hand on the bolt head and the nut my hands are approx 6 inches apart. My question is why the design change? If they were going to quit making them in 1998 it seems like a lot of trouble to re-design the structure.

Peter, does anything I describe sound familiar?
Roby
Old 01-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Registered

I Saw The Pic That You Were Putting Antifouling Paint On . Just A Sugg, I Have Been In The Industrial Paint Bus For Several Years And If You Can Take Some Brass Wool And Rub The Antifouling Paint To A Smooth Finish You Will Pick Up A Few Mph By Prducing A Slicker Surface. I Have Done This On My Deep V Fishing Boat And Got 3 Mph Faster And Better Fuel Eff.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Thats just awesome!! I sold my 22 about a year ago.. I didn't have ANY of those problems that you have found.. Mine was reriged with a 454 MPI back in 2000. I had problem free service, with the exception of having the steering slop problem with the bravo drive.. which I fixed without buying a new gimbal ring.. just welded it up and filed it down.. done!!

So after all that work you going to put a BIGGER motor in there right?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Registered

ok, after some time a little update.

after losing a steering ram bolt at WOT (forgot to tighten it....) i can tell you that doing an instant 90 deg turn is not a problem for the boat. luckily nobody was hurt.

about the performance: i´d say lesson learned-and you can´t beat experience for doing something like this.

basically, everything works fine, but the whole setup doesn´t really match up: the IMCO extension with 3" lift is a fine piece of equipment with its integrated steering, the whole package is awesome.
but, the extension plus the lift plus the panic of not getting the boat to plane and therefore adding weight to the front of the boat (batteries, pumps for the trim tabs) adds up for not getting the bow up enough, so the wetted surface is kinda large and keeps the boat from really making speed. also, the engine, as nice a piece as it is, is not powerful enough for the package. if you trim up, you create some rooster tail but the bow wont come up any more. the extension adds leverage, but the power on the end of the lever is too small.

reason for this simply was that we took good components that seemed to make sense, every piece of the package for itself, but the combination just doesnt match up. so much for lack of experience, someone with it might have foreseen things and chosen otherwise.

however, thats the way it is. the boat is still the fastest single engine in the area and it runs perfectly smooth and handles fine (only little chine walk, easy to steer that out), thanks to the long waterline, but it really sucks that a stock 22 with a bbc mercruiser is capable to perform just like it, without putting $$$ into it.

as i said: lesson learned, experience cannot be beat. if you do something, ask around or do something that has already successfully been done. or live with the result, which we do. i do not really bother or grieve because the building process was fun and also very educating.

no way yanking the engine and putting a bb into it, but CMI headers are kinda tempting (engine is running rich, anyway, and a 10% power gain for the money doesnt seem bad). and they look cool, too.

and try a different (bow lifting) prop we will, which will probably be the easiest way to find some mph (still got 500rpm left to hitting the limiter)

about the hull: re-gelcoating was terrible to do but worth the effort, it looks better and is more durable than paint.
weak spots in the hull stay weak, even with the most careful repair. most spider cracks reappeared.

this hull wasnt built with great care. we had to repair another wellcraft boat recently which is of similar age, and it was just as bad. especially the transom area in these boats is terrible. the wooden piece is very lazily joined to the laminte which leaves huge hollow areas, which really keep the water and make the wood rot badly (we had to replace the entire wooden transom on that particular boat).

grey upholstery looks great. but only black upholstery is even stupider than that if the sun happens to shine sometimes. ouch.

for the money spent, if i would get another boat i wouldnt put it into it piece by piece but rather save the whole amount and get a 28 skater with outboards. it had cost about the same but would perform lightyears better and there wouldnt be a problem with noise restrictions.

also, with these gas prices (one liter premium 98 octane fuel costs 1.30 EUROS. this boat drinks 150 liters per hour. you do the math) and considering we are not offshore but river, an Allison or STV also seems tempting (cheaper to buy and operate, faaast, handling well on a river). dont spank me.

ill post again if something important happens or if she starts to fly, finally.

peter
vienna/austria
Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered

Peter, awesome looking boat and we appreciate the detail of the thread you created.

I say you are a very dedicated person when you take on a project. Good luck and good times boating.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered

no this thread is really old but that has to be one of the nicest build threads I have ever seen on any website... Great job man. You are a VERY talented person...

Quick Reply: ´95 Scarab 22 Re-Rig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.