Top Speeds >

Top Speeds

Notices

Top Speeds

Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conn. river 10/20/07

" Scream and Fly'' had a river run last saturday, my last hoora of the year. New Auto meter guages, and new #'s.
Had full tank fuel, 4 persons:
77.4 mph on GPS @ 5400rpm (WOT)
specs:
ZZ 502cid BBC 502hp/ 572tq
Alum "semi open chamber" GM Perf. heads/ intake
850cfm Sea Demon, Holley fuel pump
EMI Thunder w/ ss risers. Modified factory mufflers
MSD billet dist, 6AL marine, Blaster 3 coil, Msd wires
Bravo 1 XZ w/ Eddie marine nose cone. B1 labbed /finished 26p "Pochetchange"

Last edited by pocketchange22; 11-09-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Pachanga,

I used to have a 406ci SBC worked over pretty good in a 22' Stinger and was only in the 70's. I currently run a pair of fairly well built (but not dynoed) 454's with B&M 250 blowers (about 565hp a side) and still only in the 70's.

I would think you're going to need 650+ hp to see 90 and that's going to be tough if you want reliability out of a 454. I would recommend procharging maybe a 540? Unless of course you've already built the motor? Let us know what's in the motor and your test speeds! Good luck.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WAYNOFZR
Pachanga,

I used to have a 406ci SBC worked over pretty good in a 22' Stinger and was only in the 70's. I currently run a pair of fairly well built (but not dynoed) 454's with B&M 250 blowers (about 565hp a side) and still only in the 70's.

I would think you're going to need 650+ hp to see 90 and that's going to be tough if you want reliability out of a 454. I would recommend procharging maybe a 540? Unless of course you've already built the motor? Let us know what's in the motor and your test speeds! Good luck.
Wow! This sight got busy!

Well...I haven't seen the #'s I want yet. Finally bought a GPS. I have prop problems...and listening to some of the veterans I don't want to push it without external steering. Last year I buggered my 30 Bravo up just a tad. Had it redone over the winter. Turns out my prop was labbed before and now is stock. I lost all my bowlift and she chinewalks pretty bad when I push it. The bow stays completely planted in the water dead level! Before it would cruise along on the pad. The prop is also slipping quite a bit more. My carb is also loading a little...making it run too rich. Best speed I had the balls for and my wife let me do was 78mph on GPS.Because of the chinewalking,etc I couldn't watch the tach too close...had my wife watching the GPS. Think I was turnin somewhere around 5100. (funny part is everytime the conditions were right and I felt hooked up good I didn't have the GPS on and the ladies started screaming!) Kindda got in a race with a 27 Baja...started easin up on him and the women started screaming! Talked to him later and he GPS's at 80...so...who knows! I had a little bit left and hadn't trimmed all the way out.

Next year things will be different!(if we have any lakes in Ga to play on) I have my boat in the shop for a winter project. If all checks out with the hull and stringers I am going with external steering,trimtabs(guy says I should put the factory tabs back on)...what do you guys think? I think they are 9" X 18". Rebuilding the carb and coming down a little on the front jets...runnin 102's on the back! Fronts were around 78 I think.

I should definately be making more than 600 horses. 454 .30 over,fully balanced steel bottem end,forged pistons(supposed to be 8:1 but I think they are closer to 9. Pumps 155lbs-160 lbs. on compression test. Mallory Ignition,Crane ultra marine full roller set up with 1:7 rockers,Ferrea stainless steel valves,etc,etc.Blow through procharger set up with the 9lb pulley. Still running the stock exhaust but also plan on putting aluminum exhaust on this winter also to take some weigh off the arse end!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered

Default Pachanga project is officially underway!

Well, I delivered all the goodies to my boat guy today. CMI Sport tube headers,had the tabs, and a full hydraulic tilt helm IMCO duel ram steering system.

Got to talking with my guy. I bought a 29 Mirage +. He doesn't think it is enough prop. Brett A Bblades wanted me to try a 25 or a 27 1st. My guy says he is not aware that I have a pretty high X dimension from changing over from an alpha to a Bravo. He thinks I will need to stay with the 4 blade and have it labbed again. Damn I wish I hadn't had to refinish it....sure seemed to be the right prop before. He also offered me some info I didn't know! He had it up to 84 on GPS @ 5300RPM's and said there was mo motor left!

Hoping to have an awesome boating season thios summer....Come on and rain! Fill our Ga lakes back up!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered

Are any of you other pachanga owners doing any upgrades this winter????
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

1987 22 Pachanga
89 mph (gps no BS)

Custom Built Motor
26P 4 blade stainless
Custom rebuilt Chevy 454: Re-bore cylinder to .30 over; Forged piston with file fit rings; Chrome molly top ring; Crane roller can kit (with roller lifters, keepers, retainers, pushrods, double roller timing chain set): High volume oil pump and fuel pump; Clevite 77 Hi-Performance rod and main bearing; Roller rockers; Resized rods; Block has been square decked; Aluminum intake; Lightning Headers; Stainless flame arrestor; Stainless crossover tube & Stainless water neck; Stainless valves; Yelvy Racing Port and polish; 9.0 to 1 compression ration; and Dual plane intake with Holley 750 Double Pumper. MSD ignition module, Bravo 1 out w/ Lab finish Mercury 26-pitch 4 blade propellor. 491hp on dyno.

This boat FLIES!!!

That was with 2/3 tank of gas, average amount of gear I guess, and me. The motor was built 4 years ago and for those that may be interested it cost $25K. But I bought the boat from the guy that had the motor built and it had less than 60 hours on it when I took possession. I acquired the boat in June 2008. I had a complete investigation of the motor and it is a tank. The all purpose prop 23p 3 blade stainless (gets my kids up on skis and tube easier) pushes the boat to 72mph (on gps) with the same set up as stated before (2/3 tank of gas, average amount of gear, and me). I absolutely LOVE this boat. If I can figure out how to post pics I will.

Last edited by Siranbiaks; 10-06-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

How many RPMS is that engine turning?

You have to pay $$ to post pictures.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

With the 23p 3 blade it will get to about 5300 rpm, with the 26p 4 blade it gets to about 4700 rpm.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

That's amazing.

Using a prop calculator with your 26inch prop with 10% slip ratio you would need to turn that engine 6,000 RPMs to achieve 89MPH. 10% is also excellent and a 4 blade will slow top end also.

Sorry don’t buy it, just my 2 cents.

I am over 500HP with a 496 and a labbed 25 mirage plus 3 blade and only see 73 at 5,100 rpms.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 10-09-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Registered

I also find it difficult to believe. I have a 600+ HP procharged 454(.30 over) with a Bravo 1. Best seen so far was around 84 with a little left twisting a labbed Bravo 30 at around 5400 RPM's. Unfortunately it's gonna be next season before my supposed winter project is finished. The damn headders wouldn't clear the procharger so it's gonna get the 496 manifolds off my sunny when I do the Raylar kit.

Quick Reply: Top Speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.