Hull size + power = speed?

Notices

Hull size + power = speed?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull size + power = speed?

Hi

New here, this seemed like a reasonable place to look for info, and also ask a few questions. Have been reading for hours and hours, now it was time to jump aboard.

I live in northern Europe in Scandinavia, where we have a 4 month long boating season and pay almost 2 euros per liter of gasoline. That should equal to about 9.80 USD for a US gallon. Beat that.

In the future I'm looking into having a P22 or P27, not decided yet. Others that might be of interest could be a 260CC from the same era, but this is probably not considered a performance hull? Any experiences of this?

Here comes a lot of lack of knowledge, but:
what is the correct combination, when you want a go-fast v-bottom?
Is there a standard opinion on what the bottom v-angle should be, any minimum hull lenght etc? I understand that certain hulls can not be pushed beyond certain speeds, no matter what. I could live with a quite small boat doing 60-65-70 gps mph, remembering the fact what it costs to drag a heavy hull in the sea with these fuel prices. On the other hand, boating hours per year is around 20-25 and fun things usually cost money..

And this leads to the next one. As for now, I run a 1997 SeaRay 200 Sun Sport. (BTW, this model is not found in SR model archives, what is it??) Standard engine is a 260 with Alpha One. Got a crack in the block in the wintertime, so now it runs a dynoed 377 with higher compression, it's got about the same power and torque as mercruiser 6.2 has, 320 hp and peaks 413lbft. The boat should be very light, having not even a cuddy cabin, but a very low storage compartment under the deck, no portapottis (ie not carrying extra **** around), nothing. This combo gives me with light fuel load, 2 adults, 3 small kids a gps top speed of 52 mph, which I am not too satisfied with. WOT is 4900, prop is 21 standard mercruiser alu prop. What is wrong? Especially, thinking a 1980's P22 which must be heavier, and has less power, has a advertised top speed of 60mph if i remember correct.

What is the problem or truth here?

Last edited by no_P22; 08-21-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

There is probably nothing wrong, that may jusy be what the top end is, Sea Ray has only made a few 60 MPH boats, and you would be suprized what the wait is on that boat, a 19 pachanga is pretty heavy and no cuddy there http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/...DERNKLB536.pdf 2500 pounds, and a P22 is not much more, I think that most of this is just hull design, also, only 20-25 hours per season in 4 months?? Our 6 month season mean 100+ hours, for me anyway. However I am sure gas prices must have some effect. Anyway, your boat is probably just deigned so it won't hit 60, also I beleive the 260 Cuddy might have been a P27 mold, does anyone know if this is correct or wrong?? I am just guessing from what I have seen of the boats.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

well You may be able to get 60+ out of your boat, but you would need more power, for instance there is a P22 that the owner claims can go over 80MPH, but it has 930 HP
Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

There is one on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...item2566e931ea

Stock this boat will do 65 all day long.

My last P22 I build a 496 for, easy 500HP and would do 75 on GPS. 600Hp would get you in the 80's easy.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

really?? the guy with 930 says his only does 80s
Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

I know that boat!! I was thinking about going to look at it, but I am leaning more towards the scarab center consoles and a 27 pachanga, I need something that can handel the water atleas 75% of the time, I hate watching people I know go out while I can't because my boat is only a 15 lol, but its fun because I can cruise around the harbor easy
Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BigBoater
really?? the guy with 930 says his only does 80s
930 h.p. I would like to see dyno sheets
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

here, I will show you some links and stuff of his boat, also vid on youtube, I wonder if those are real numbers tho