Sea Ray hull blistering >

Sea Ray hull blistering

Notices

Sea Ray hull blistering

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Ray hull blistering

I have a 2008 SLX 270. I am thinking about keep it in the water next season. I have heard some people say that the Sea Ray will blister if kept in the water. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will blister without bottom paint....and depending on the length of time it may blister anyway. Sea Rays are no more blister prone than any other brand. You may hear about it more on Sea Ray because there are probably more of that brand on the water than any other.

Gel coat never completely cures and the resin in fiberglass is trying to leach it's self thru the Gel Coat from the day the hull is laid up...moisture accelerates the process. I had a '89 Sea Ray 40' Express Cruiser that I kept in the water here in SE Florida year round. Once a year I had to pull it out of the water and grind out the blisters and re fill the areas. The older pre 1990's resins were more prone to blister than the newer hulls but they all do it.

This link is to a good article explaining this issue.

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail_blister.html