Pachanga II Hull Designs >

Pachanga II Hull Designs

Notices

Pachanga II Hull Designs

Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pachanga II Hull Designs

Hello I'm new to this site and am actively looking for a good Pachanga 22. After researching the Internet trying to learn more about the boats I discovered that the 22 hull may have experienced design changes during the 1986 - 1991 time period, and perhaps the hull got longer, wider, and a bit heavier beginning in 88? 1986 specs show length at 20.83 with a 96 inch beam compared to 1988 specs show at 21.17 and a 96 inch beam, and the 1989 a 21.17 with a 102 inch beam. Much of this info came from the iboats site. There is a site addressing only Pachanga boats but it's gone inactive. Is iboats just out to lunch or are these specs actually accurate?

Additionally, I saw a post that claimed the stock 7.4 boats came with a different hull than the stock 5.7 boats. It claimed the 7.4 chines were slightly hooked while the 5.7 was not. Not sure if this means anything either since everything on the Internet is true...right? Can any of you shed some light on this topic?

P.S. Do any of you have experience in the Pachanga vs the Regal Velocity? They seem designed for the same target audience.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

The Velocity (Regal) will be faster with the same power.

Padraig
Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Registered

Thanks Padraig...I would also wonder if the Regal rides better in any size chop due to the longer hull...or if the pad makes the two hulls about even. Also what about the build quality comparisons between the Regal and the Searay?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've owned an '86 Pachanga II for the past 15 yrs,It's bone stock, original power 350 Mag. I've also owned an 87 Pachanga II that was a factory 454/Alpha package. I've always thought all Pachanga 22's were the same hull. Never seen any real differences in length/beam. FWIW, I like me small block boat better than the big block one. it just rides better, level etc.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

Thanks Biggus, what was the WOT difference between your two boats? You're not the first to opine a preference for the 5.7 small block variation. Were they a carb engine at about 260hp?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Registered

Utski1, As I have never driven a Pachanga, I can't judge the ride and handling between the Pachanga and the Velocity and I am likely prejudiced. I can tell you the Velocity is faster as I have had a few Pachangas try to catch the 89 23 foot Regal Velocity I owned. It had a 454 mag and would hit 69/70 quite easy. If you really worked it conditions were right I would top out at 71 on GPS. However I suspect the Velocity was the better hull. It was the same bottom of the classic Velocity 22. The Regal 23 had a different deck and more headroom in the cabin but the bottom was the same. I had a lot of fun in that boat.

Padraig
Old 09-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Never ridden a Pachanga 22 but owned a 27 for a few years.

Don't always count on specs from boat tests, they often have mistakes about length, beam and weight. Sea Ray have their own records available on their website, go to the boat models/archives and you can pull up spec sheets and brochure going back to the very start of production. I would trust their accuracy before boat reviews.

A couple of points, when Sea Ray quote weight, that is with standard engine. I don't think they ever made significant changes to the hull and around 89/90 they got caught up including boarding platforms as part of the overall length. In. Australia, when they bought out the new models for 1990, everyone thought that all the boats were stretched by 1-2 feet when in reality they were just re-measured to include the platform.

I've owned 3 Sea Rays, all excellent boats but with twin 502's, my Pachanga was easily the fastest. About 15 years on, I'd still buy it back if I had the chance.

Good luck with your search, you'll never regret owning a Pachanga 22.

RR
Old 09-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I just had a browse through the Sea Ray archives and they do show a different centerline length and overall length around 88/89.

Looking at a few pics, the platform may have changed slightly but I can't guess at why the hull centerline is different. I truly doubt they changed the hull by a couple of inches and guess it's the way the measure or some technical detail. The beam, draft and weight appears to remain constant.

I wouldn't be at all concerned, find a boat that is solid and well cared for, check it out for moisture and the normal pre purchase due diligence then start enjoying it.

RR
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Registered

Thanks Rak Rua for the input and for taking time to look a the SeaRay site. I wondered if it was just the swimplatform issue, but it threw me when I saw different beam specs. Am currently looking at two Pachanga 22 models and am trying to work out drive ratios as I live in a higher elevation and need to avoid the 1.32 gear sets. I see you're currently running a Fountain. Reggie sure builds a nice boat!
Old 09-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

If there is a 22/23 Velocity for sale be sure to compare the two. Also be aware that some if not all the 22 Pachangas came with big blocks and Alpha drives.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.