Why doesn't Cigarette race? >

Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Why doesn't Cigarette race in superboat? I saw the superboat races the other day on Outdoor Network and was disapointed not to see any Cigs only beaks. Whats the deal?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why doesn't Cigarette race?

That race was in Panama City. Mostly beaks. It proves that if throw enough money at anything you can eventually own it. That is what Reggie wanted and now that is what Reggie has.

I guess we have to be thankful that he wanted to be king of offshore Deep "V" racing network. Otherwise I do not think there would be as much participation.

I believe Rio Roses was the last major Cig race boat and now they have turned to Reggie for their hulls. Another important contributing factor to remember is that essentially Mercury owns Fountain. A lot more money in that camp to support racing.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont get me started on a rant....... Cigarette has a problem with their step hulls. They handle like schitt and frankly are dangerous at race speeds. In a poker run scenario or pleasure use it is not that much of an issue, but under the pressure of race speeds it sucks. I cannot think of a person that has raced a Cigarette that has not been pitched into the water. The list is long and distinguished of those who have been tossed.... and the ones that say they havent are either lying or havent pushed the boat. Having said that, Cigarette needs to invest some $$ into R&D for a new bottom. The funny thing about Fountains is that when they do spin they stay flat..... Cigs just roll. I would rather slide than go over!!! Maybe Skip needs to take a ride with someone at race speed and turns, they should even let him steer!!! \

By the way, I am on my 4th Cig in 3 years..........
Old 12-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cuz don got shot...and the new owners are bean counters(punks) instead of racers(bad azzes)
The following users liked this post:
Shawnandkathi (10-07-2020)
Old 12-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhlaw
Dont get me started on a rant....... Cigarette has a problem with their step hulls. They handle like schitt and frankly are dangerous at race speeds. In a poker run scenario or pleasure use it is not that much of an issue, but under the pressure of race speeds it sucks. I cannot think of a person that has raced a Cigarette that has not been pitched into the water. The list is long and distinguished of those who have been tossed.... and the ones that say they havent are either lying or havent pushed the boat. Having said that, Cigarette needs to invest some $$ into R&D for a new bottom. The funny thing about Fountains is that when they do spin they stay flat..... Cigs just roll. I would rather slide than go over!!! Maybe Skip needs to take a ride with someone at race speed and turns, they should even let him steer!!! \

By the way, I am on my 4th Cig in 3 years..........
Wow I didn't know that. It is sad to think about.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gripit
Why doesn't Cigarette race in superboat? I saw the superboat races the other day on Outdoor Network and was disapointed not to see any Cigs only beaks. Whats the deal?
Have patience my son.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered

I saw an all white canopied Gladiator being tested at Haulover a few weeks back. It sure wasnt a poker run or pleasure boat. We will have to wait and see
Old 12-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

I wish there were some Cigarettes out there as well. From a business standpoint it's not economical in the least. Most boat companies have a hard enough time staying out of the red as it is. These days it seems who ever dumps the most money into racing comes out the winner.

Example: I give 100% credit to the Bacardi team for their skills, team, and overall accomplishments. It would be MUCH harder for them to do what they have without the ENORMOUS budget they have. Tons of extra motors, drives, tools, etc, are at their fingertips if a problem should arise. Most of the other teams don't have this luxury and if they break chances are the weekend is over.

I don't see Cigarette dumping North of 40k (per race) for races that get little exposure, and are barely watched by their potential buyers (besides KW). Most of their real buyers are on Poker Runs or other powerboating events where you can see and ride on the product (Amreican Muscle I II & III).

Although there are some rumors floating around about a new Cigarette that may change this.

Last edited by TwinStepGun; 12-03-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Re: Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Potenial buyers want Cig to be number 1. They want Cig to crush the competition like the old days. Cig doesn't need Mercury, they have Zul , Sterling and other bad azz engine builders. I hope they enter the arena because I think they can afford a huge racing budget. I also think they can't afford not to.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Did anyone notice the "Wanted" Cigarette in Key West, the Cigarette logo was covered by a "Pepsi" logo...so much for factory support..

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.