Removal of 496HO restriction plates

Notices

Removal of 496HO restriction plates

Old 01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removal of 496HO restriction plates

Originally Posted by articfriends
Raylar posted on this a few days ago where someone was questioning after market ex manifolds for the 496. He said it was good for 15 hp during dyno testing and it was part of his upgrade. The manifolds that give a 40 hp increase are being compared to stock restricted exhaust,if you compare it to one with restricters removed then it would only be a 25 hp gain which sounds believable,Smitty
He did say a 15 hp gain without them. I took mine out last spring and not sure if I noticed much, but at least good to know in my head that I've freed up 30 hp on twins.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
OOPS......Some bad math there.

The Dyno sheets on the CMI Exhaust show's 55.2 hp increase over stock. Not the 40 you stated in your post.

So using your scenario, that would be a 40 horse difference. Not the 25 you post.

Just a small clarification to avoid confusion.
Yeah,this is getting a little confusing,I was referring to the guys math where he figured 40 hp over stock from eddie marines cast manifolds claim of 10% gain in the other thread I was refering to. Raylar was very skeptical of that big of a gain from 2000$ cast manifolds and I garnered from what he was saying that they were definately comparing there gains to stock un-modified factory manifolds. I wasn't referring to the cmi's,BUT, I will say if I had a 496 ho in something I'd just spend the money and get the cmi's for there very impressive gain over stock,it sounds like they really put some development in them,Smitty
Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Picture of plates

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=122974
Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Rework of Merc 496 manifolds!!

We kind of decided to go ahead and offer a fix for the Merc 496 manifolds that some not so deep pocket boaters can afford. We have done a lot of flow bench work on the Merc 496 stock aluminum manifolds on our heads and we have developed a CNC program where we can run existing manifolds thru our 5-axis CNC machine and add some pretty nice cfm flow enhancements. This should also be very helpful to the guys worried about warranties and those adding superchargers and other power upgrades. We will be offering these reworked manifolds on an exchange basis at a very affordable cost. I will post the actual pricing very soon. Any body who has some stock manifolds around email sales @ raylarengine.com and we will most likely be buying up a few sets to get ahead of the demand. Again, Raylar tries to meet the simple needs of 496 owners without "deep-pockets"!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Rework of Merc 496 manifolds!!

Originally Posted by Raylar
We kind of decided to go ahead and offer a fix for the Merc 496 manifolds that some not so deep pocket boaters can afford. We have done a lot of flow bench work on the Merc 496 stock aluminum manifolds on our heads and we have developed a CNC program where we can run existing manifolds thru our 5-axis CNC machine and add some pretty nice cfm flow enhancements. This should also be very helpful to the guys worried about warranties and those adding superchargers and other power upgrades. We will be offering these reworked manifolds on an exchange basis at a very affordable cost. I will post the actual pricing very soon. Any body who has some stock manifolds around email sales @ raylarengine.com and we will most likely be buying up a few sets to get ahead of the demand. Again, Raylar tries to meet the simple needs of 496 owners without "deep-pockets"!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
What kind of hp gains are you seeing with your manifold work along with removal of the restrictor plates?

Also how much for the exchange on a set?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rework of Merc 496 manifolds!!

Originally Posted by Raylar

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Sounds like an interesting proposition. How are you doing the porting??? Extrone Honing would probably work well. Please keep us posted summer is almost here, that would be nice to get done before the season. Best part is it will be a simple swap over, no parts relocation...
Old 03-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Re: Removal of 496HO restriction plates

The porting and recontouring is done by 5-axis CNC maching as I previously mentioned. Extrude hone can not properly open the port at just ideal locations and unless you've priced it lately it's way to "Damn Expensive". You guys really like to come up with ways that waste money don't you? Yes these manifolds will be ready for interested parties in April.

Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 03-12-2006 at 05:27 PM. Reason: 496 manifold improvements
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered

Ray,any idea of HP gains and cost of rework to the exhaust for those of us who would like to wait until April for your product. Also would a ECM reprogram be a good addition to the header rework?
Thanks, Tony
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered

Again, how about hp gained and exchange price?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Registered

Nice Ray! Keep it coming. Also congrats on the Powerboat Magazine article on your new 700hp N/A beast. Did GM design a whole new block for you or just overbore the block for you?

Quick Reply: Removal of 496HO restriction plates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.