Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cheapest place to purchase Mobile 1???? >

Cheapest place to purchase Mobile 1????

Notices

Cheapest place to purchase Mobile 1????

Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cheapest place to purchase Mobile 1????

amsoil 20/50 6$ a quart, full syn.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Registered

I was just at super wal-mart and the prices did go up for the Mobil 1, gold cap. It was $26.54 (or something close)...it was around $23 so it definitely went up. Stock up now the way it sounds huh?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Vtwin? Red cap or Gold Cap?

V twin is not the same as the red or gold cap. If you read Hydrocrusers post he found that mobil 1 V twin was one of the best out there. Better than the red or gold cap. It cost a few $$$ more and hard to find.

At my local wall mart the V Twin oil was not with all the other oils. It was two Isles over mixed in with auto & motor cycle accessories, just under the motor cycle helmets. I found it by chance. Also its in a black bottle not the silver bottle like all the other Mobil 1 products.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave1972
As far as I know the red cap has been discontinued and the new Mobil 1 is the Gold Cap. It is much better than the old red cap from what I remember reading (from Hydrocruiser).
Actually its the other way around, The red cap has the detergents/chemicals needed for the marine applications but due to the epa and harm it did to the enviroment they changed the formula which now gives you the new gold cap. All in all he was in favor of the V-twin oil stating it was one of the best, red cap was close behind, gold cap needed STP added to raise the chemicals, if I remember correctly.

Hydrocruiser's post on this subject definetly give you some good reading, & info. Look them up.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
V twin is not the same as the red or gold cap. If you read Hydrocrusers post he found that mobil 1 V twin was one of the best out there. Better than the red or gold cap. It cost a few $$$ more and hard to find.

At my local wall mart the V Twin oil was not with all the other oils. It was two Isles over mixed in with auto & motor cycle accessories, just under the motor cycle helmets. I found it by chance. Also its in a black bottle not the silver bottle like all the other Mobil 1 products.

Thanks, I give it a look.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Cheapest place to purchase Mobile 1????

The most up to date info I have is as follows:

-Mobil-1 Redcap 15W-50 was replaced by Goldcap 15W-50 about a year or so back and has since been reformulated (maybe a couple times since intorduction to market) and is at least equal to and maybe better presently than the previous Redcap formulations as ZDDP levels were boosted as was it's base. That's good news that Mobil got it right again.

-M-1 V-Twin 20W-50 has an even stronger base and higher ZDDP levels and is great for racing and has no equal that I am aware of. I also like the very effective anti-corrosion additives in this product. It has very high cling strength too and is best at preventing dry starts (up to 4 months of storage). If price is not an issue it is a nice insurance policy.

-20W-50 Amsoil MotorCycle Synthetic; Amsoil 20W-50 Severe Service Racing Oil and Redline 20W-50 are close to
M-1 V-twin.

-Amsoil 15W-40 Marine and Royal Purple 20W-50 are very good choices as well and are similiar to M-1 Goldcap chemistry.

There are probably others as well in the synthetic arena that should be included; but nobody ran the numbers...I am going by test results.

The prices are getting higher which is unfortunate!!

At least Goldcap is availbale in bulk at WalMart and with the imporved reformulation is a good way to go.

If you want to save a buck consider an A/C oil filter. Sure there are better ones...but we would be splitting hairs to not consider using the A/C which goes for $2.99. It is a very good filter for the money.

Mobil-1 15W-50 with an A/C filter and around 30-40 hour drain intervals on non-hopped engines is going to be just fine unless you race or run the tar out of your rig. This combo of oil and filter runs about $30.00/engine.

I gotta say if I had blower motors with fuel contamination issues I might opt for going with Rotella or DelVac 15W-40 and 10 hour drains vs. longer intervals with a synthetic. I thought I would throw that in as it always seem to hit the fan sooner or later.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-25-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Walmart is out I checked for you guys today
Old 03-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Cheapest place to purchase Mobile 1????

Originally Posted by devastation
this whole thread is ridiculous.It is like asking where can I save $100 on cls 55 mercedes?you have to be kiddin.mail me the caps ill send you $5.you guys are getting retarded up in here,up in here
here is a link custom tailored just for you...

http://mb.parkplacestores.com/mo1su15.html