Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
What's the story on this one? >

What's the story on this one?

Notices

What's the story on this one?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: What's the story on this one?

Look at the size of the freakin turbos.

Thats some pretty wild stuff...The Torque must be killer.

She runs a little rich. Black transom forsure!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to ask. Why would you want to put diesels in any sport boat? Heavy. slow and will KILL the resale value. A Skater with diesels is like putting a Duramax in a Corvette.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the asking price, do not see it in want adds, what is the condition of the hull, in 89 skater made those with several different types of materals.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have really bad luck with gas power...

like gino luck... but his power seem to stay together...

but anyways... my main reason is how long will you hold your motors on the wood? WOT.... I say after 5-10 minutes you are probably ready to back out of it, and even at 80% throttle you are worrying about valves and exhaust temps after a few minutes... plus rebuilds evey 50-100 hrs.... I'm not saying that the diesels are perfect, but they are definately more reliable.... I have been interested in it for a while, and maybe I cant afford to build a bunch of extra motors. I want to build some that will stay together and not worry about it.

If the diesels are a big flop, which I don't think they will be because there are a few using them.. I have herd of a 50' shrimp boat with 6cyl cummins doing 60mph.... and those motors are 200-300lbs heavier than a big block... take a seat out and make the fat guy sit on the sidelines and watch.. their fuel consumption is better which means the tanks can be smallr saving weight

Ernie

btw... I have seen some diesel sport cars
Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I have to ask. Why would you want to put diesels in any sport boat? Heavy. slow and will KILL the resale value. A Skater with diesels is like putting a Duramax in a Corvette.

Durabilty, Economy, Efficiancy.

Whats the matter with doing 80 to 100
for 2 hours straight?

When the Hp and weight difference catches up too
there gas counterparts. You may see more of them.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

80 to 100mph would be WOT in a diesel at the very best. I cruise at 1/2 throttle at that speed for hours. I think diesels are great in certain applications like shrimp boats and trucks. They last a long time and get decent fuel econmy. You do not see sports cars with diesels and you will see very, very few sport boats with them. I can think of one MTI. It would be nearly impossible to sell without taking a big hit down the road.

PS. I have this diesel Corvette for sale, it not very fast, it is not balanced with a heavy Duramax, but it gets good milage and will run 500,000 miles before a rebuuld. What will you give me for it? Sorry I could not resist the jab here.

If your want a 100 mph boat that is reliable, put a couple 502's with Arnesons and it will run for years and years. The two 502's will be cheaper than those diesels as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Registered

Point taken!

Topspin80 Ya may want to cross off Brad's name on your
"Who may wanna buy my boat List".

Please keep us posted on your project.

Gerry
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow

If your want a 100 mph boat that is reliable, put a couple 502's with Arnesons and it will run for years and years. The two 502's will be cheaper than those diesels as well.

the diesel in that green truck was an old bus motor and the guy has a total of 8k in it... he has years of drag racing under it and hasn't had any problems at close to 1700hp and 2000+ ftlbs torque... and he thought 8k was alot to spend on one.

Ernie
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Brad Zastrow;1988516]

PS. I have this diesel Corvette for sale, it not very fast, it is not balanced with a heavy Duramax, but it gets good milage and will run 500,000 miles before a rebuuld. What will you give me for it? Sorry I could not resist the jab here.

the real deal: I have this full sized dodge truck that outruns your zo-6 vette and puts out 1500+ ftlbs of torque to the rear wheels runs 10.90 1/4 miles and will do this over and over all day then run truck pulls and all with me and 3 of my buddies in the cab as well as a full tank of fuel. btw... I paid 10k for this old junker and haven't done any reall machine work on it, just a bigger turbo and injectors. HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE IN THAT VETTE?

Ernie
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered

Wouldn't the real deal sound more like "I've got an 80 MPH Skater that I pay $15,000 a year to insure"?

Quick Reply: What's the story on this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.